Beauty Dish #2

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took more time in constructing this next beauty dish. I used an all metal bowl and really focused on painting the inside. I got it all mounted together this afternoon and here are some of the first results.

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

Looks cool but was the key there on purpose or just happened to be there?

Oh it was an accident. This was a "hey look at me real quick" picture. Not much planning.

I see, but it's a nice shot. Like the reflection on her eye, not to mention her eye color is nice! I don't know if shadow would make it a bit nicer?

I see, but it's a nice shot. Like the reflection on her eye, not to mention her eye color is nice! I don't know if shadow would make it a bit nicer?

Some PP on her eyes probably would make them pop more but I was just messing around I didn't focus on the eyes that much. Here is another still life shot that I took with the dish.

932498017_3inXB-XL.jpg

I'd like to know more about your DIY dish, I think the results are nice and I'd like to make one myself. Did you follow a guide you can link us to? What was the source of light (wasn't a flash with the bowl around it was it?) and what kind of metal bowl did you use (just a cheap mixing bowl?)

I'd like to know more about your DIY dish, I think the results are nice and I'd like to make one myself. Did you follow a guide you can link us to? What was the source of light (wasn't a flash with the bowl around it was it?) and what kind of metal bowl did you use (just a cheap mixing bowl?)

I followed this guide to the "T". The Best DIY Beauty Dish | ishootshows.com

I use an SB-600 Flash but you could you any flash you want. I also used this Lastolite knockoff bracket found on ebay. Speed Ring+Bracket for ISHOOT Flash/Speedlight Softbox - eBay (item 270488550611 end time Jul-19-10 00:35:12 PDT) It is made just like the Lastolite but much cheaper.

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A very well-done project Eric. The final result of the DIY is a fine-looking beauty dish!

Just wanted to check in to see how this beauty dish was holding up? Is the paint staying on? That's the only thing I'd be worried about. I think I'm going to do this one. Since my fun foam reflector turned out so well.

this is really nice, i wanted to make one but it seems like i cant find the time to do it. im about to buy one but for my stobes but i dont think ill be able to use it with my speedlights.

how did you cut it ?

Definitely going to give this a try! Thanks for posting :)

Just wanted to check in to see how this beauty dish was holding up? Is the paint staying on? That's the only thing I'd be worried about. I think I'm going to do this one. Since my fun foam reflector turned out so well.

As long as you rough up the dish with sandpaper first, there's no reason the paint shouldn't hold up.

Hmm, I have a dish from paul c buff and bought the silver one and been using the sock that came with it w/out it, it's super bright! thinking if I should paint the inside or not?

Most reactions

Back