Beauty dish from today's session

smakelijk11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Feel free to give C&C. I think I already know what was done well and what could be improved. But... Your opinion is always helpful.

Cheers

Attachments

• _DSC7714-Edit-Edit.jpg
    _DSC7714-Edit-Edit.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 207
  • _DSC7731-Edit.jpg
    _DSC7731-Edit.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 210
  • _DSC7768-Edit-Edit.jpg
    _DSC7768-Edit-Edit.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 207
If you already know what you could do better, why ask?

Feel free to give C&C. I think I already know what was done well and what could be improved. But... Your opinion is always helpful.

Cheers
I couldn't do better myself but, the first one the pose seems forced a little, the second one in my opinion could be cropped a little better, I wouldn't change the third. All nice, just small things I would change buy YMMV. Very nice

Exactly... your comment is not helpful at all. I was looking for help, not a jerk comment. Your work is really nice though btw. I checked out your website :)

Validation? I often think I know what could be improved, and frequently people raise points that hadn't occurred to me.
Bingo! That is exactly what I was thinking too. I think the posing with the hands needs work. I tried so hard to work on that during the shoot and would love advice from others. As a 340 pound man, trying to show a beautiful woman by posing myself isn't working out so well. Not to mention I have back problems too lol

I like the first and third, you make her look very fetching. In the middle one though she looks like she's posing for a passport photo.

You completely misread my comment, there was no hostility or attitude intended, believe me. People ask questions like this face to face all the time, and no one seems to get bent out of shape. I am genuinely curious to know what it is that you have to say about your own photos and how you could improve. Posting for critique but saying that you feel like you already know what could be done better seems like a bit of a contradictory statement, so I had to ask because I have an inquiring mind.

Some details that jump out at me:
In the first image, she's putting pressure on her face with her fingers. You can have someone pose with their fingers up to their face, but it's best not to have them actually touch their skin so you avoid the indentations created by the pressure of the touch.

Image 2, I think the posing would be more harmonious to the image composition if there were symmetry in the positioning of her hands, rather than having one hand higher than the other. To me it throws off the balance and flow of composition.

Image 3 to me is bottom heavy in the composition, and cutting her off at the sides of her shoulders like that creates an illusion of very wide-set shoulders. As well, I think it would look better to have her hair flipped to the other side rather than covering the side of the neck that's facing the camera. Utilizing the lines and shape of the neck is a good way to enhance the composition of a portrait, while covering it in my opinion can make some of the shapes in the image seem blocky and large, rather than sleek and graceful.

Lighting is ok in all three, but as I said before in your other thread, a beauty dish is great because it creates high contrast light while still being able to achieve soft transitions between lit areas and areas cast in shadow; I think you could really improve your photos a lot by using that light as more of a sculpting tool to contour and highlight the face, rather than just using to illuminate the face.

You completely misread my comment, there was no hostility or attitude intended, believe me. People ask questions like this face to face all the time, and no one seems to get bent out of shape. I am genuinely curious to know what it is that you have to say about your own photos and how you could improve. Posting for critique but saying that you feel like you already know what could be done better seems like a bit of a contradictory statement, so I had to ask because I have an inquiring mind.

In the first image, she's putting pressure on her face with her fingers. You can have someone pose with their fingers up to their face, but it's best not to have them actually touch their skin so you avoid the indentations created by the pressure of the touch.

Image 2, I think the posing would be more harmonious to the image composition if there were symmetry in the positioning of her hands, rather than having one hand higher than the other. To me it throws off the balance and flow of composition.

Image 3 to me is bottom heavy in the composition, and cutting her off at the sides of her shoulders like that creates an illusion of very wide-set shoulders. As well, I think it would look better to have her hair flipped to the other side rather than covering the side of the neck that's facing the camera. Utilizing the lines and shape of the neck is a good way to enhance the composition of a portrait, while covering it in my opinion can make some of the shapes in the image seem blocky and large, rather than sleek and graceful.

Lighting is ok in all three, but as I said before in your other thread, a beauty dish is great because it creates high contrast light while still being able to achieve soft transitions between lit areas and areas cast in shadow; I think you could really improve your photos a lot by using that light as more of a sculpting tool to contour and highlight the face, rather than just using to illuminate the face.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. And you see, I predicted the comment with the hand on the face. This is hence why I wrote what I think I got wrong. Do you think the backlighting is working for the portraits?

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. And you see, I predicted the comment with the hand on the face. This is hence why I wrote what I think I got wrong. Do you think the backlighting is working for the portraits?
I think if you have thoughts about how you could do better on your own photos, you should post your self critique in your original post, which is very helpful to those who view your thread.

Back light is fine in the first one, and a bit too hot for my liking in the second one.

Do you think the backlighting is working for the portraits?

Can I offer a layman's opinion on this? It's a bit intense in the colour images, competing for attention, particularly in picture 2.

Well the huge problem with me is that I post a photo and I think it's great and sometimes can even get a little bit cocky. I don't want someone to tear me down. But I do want to know where I can improve and what I did right. I will state that I admire classical photography and want to try to get better at that style. I also don't do the self-critique, because I want to see if others will come to the same conclusion. Make sense?

Most reactions

Back