Beauty dish from today's session

Things that strike me: Background highlights are too hot by at least a full stop, try and keep the figers together; hand positioning is fine (IMO), but keep the fingers together and generally pointed up (as in #1) or down (#2), rather than right at the viewer. #2 is a bit too much of a 'football shoulders' pose for; 20 degrees to one side or the other would be better. #3 is very nice; lovely lighting, BUT the background really hurts it (IMO).

Well the huge problem with me is that I post a photo and I think it's great and sometimes can even get a little bit cocky. I don't want someone to tear me down. But I do want to know where I can improve and what I did right. I will state that I admire classical photography and want to try to get better at that style. I also don't do the self-critique, because I want to see if others will come to the same conclusion. Make sense?
I think you could give self critique a try. :)

Do you think the backlighting is working for the portraits?

Can I offer a layman's opinion on this? It's a bit intense in the colour images, competing for attention, particularly in picture 2.
Should I tone it down a bit? I mean that is a simple fix in Photoshop.

Burn it or use a multiply with a mask? That might then make the shadows too dark (competing with her clothing). Hard to tell if it's worth it.

Things that strike me: Background highlights are too hot by at least a full stop, try and keep the figers together; hand positioning is fine (IMO), but keep the fingers together and generally pointed up (as in #1) or down (#2), rather than right at the viewer. #2 is a bit too much of a 'football shoulders' pose for; 20 degrees to one side or the other would be better. #3 is very nice; lovely lighting, BUT the background really hurts it (IMO).
Thank you! What is it about number 3 that hurts the background? It's a pretty shallow depth of field? Is it the ugly object in the top?

Any better?

Attachments

• _DSC7768-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
    _DSC7768-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: orf
I wouldn't say so. But they are three of my favourites from the session.

I wouldn't say so. But they are three of my favourites from the session.

Sorry OP, this question was not directed at you, it was directed at the person I quoted who gave me a he finger with an amusing gif on an earlier link

I'm not an expert but will mention a couple of things. First, she's a pretty model, better if she's a friend as well. The backgrounds are too busy and draw my eye away from the model. The "Z" and the crooked vertical lines detract in the first shot. The sweaters in the first two are too busy as well. They also draw my eye away from the girl's face. The side BW portrait seems to be funny in that her nose runs with her right cheek and makes her face look slightly distorted. Also, she's looking out of the picture frame. More space on the left and less on the right would balance it better. You've made her hair the subject. Her hair in the back of her head looks unkempt. It detracts from her prettiness. The second picture seems too bright burning out her face. Why do you have her on the left side of the picture? There's nothing on the right that adds anything. Hope I helped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back