Status
Not open for further replies.

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Beauty Shoot for "Citizen K" Magazine "How Did I Do It?"

Recently, I received an e-mail from someone who saw my image on my introduction page of my blog, asking "...how did you do it?" I will not include what he speculated, which was actually quite close.

For those of you wishing to participate, I would like you to tell me, what you think I did. I will eventually tell you all the technique I employed for this particular beauty story shot for "Citizen K International".

So, go ahead and tell me what your impressions are. Post your answer on the Forum and on my Blog. That way, everyone who has participated can see all of the responses.

Thanks
Ben

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/12/04/beauty-shoot-for-citizen-k-magazine-asked-how-did-i-do-it/

Last edited:
Nice shot
I would say 3 lights 1 from each side with reflectors and a soft box from above giving the shadows to her eyes ?

Very interesting incorporating the grain in there. I also like the hairstyle that you model has.

Nice shot
I would say 3 lights 1 from each side with reflectors and a soft box from above giving the shadows to her eyes ?

Interesting analysis. Will post my answer next week.;)

I think the face is too symmetrical to be "real"

so I think you took the shot, used one half mirrored to make the other half.

beyond that seems to be light above and slighty in front of the subject judging by the shadow of her (his?) chin right at the top of the sternum.

cheers
jerry

two hard hair lights, one on either side. Id say the key light is a beauty dish positioned slightly in front of the models face and from above.

i'd say a hard light on each side (slightly from behind of the model and just a few inches above her hear), a soft box on top and a white reflector on the bottom...

Last edited:
I bet on the beauty dish above and two hard lights as rim. I don't think there was a reflector behind, because there's shadow in the eyes.

A soft box pointing almost straight down on her. Two rim lights. And a white reflector angled up at her just out of view

This is a good idea. I think more people should do, 'How did I do it?" posts. Great critical and creative thinking exercise.

So, here is the lighting set up for the shot.

A 4 bulb Kino Light, lit from below with a white shoot through diffusor.

An Opalight shooting down at around 60 degrees and around 1 meter above and 2 meters back from the model.

Two bare bulb heads, one on either side of the model at around 100 degrees just slightly off the 90 degree axis of the model.

Two HMI 1.2 Kilo Cinema Lights for the backdrop, shooting down to achieve the gradation.

Full Blue Gelatins on all of the flash sources and a Midnight Blue Gelatin on the HMI's using a Blue Backdrop.

Shot with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Lens at f25.0 at 1/8th of a second.

Converted to B&W in Photoshop.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/12/04/beauty-shoot-for-citizen-k-magazine-asked-how-did-i-do-it/

Last edited:
out of curiosity as i'm trying to learn studio photography myself why such a small aperture?

I just clicked on your link and it came up with a 404 error. You may want to check into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back