Become A Professional Photographer (Not Easy)

His website has some photos. Most are landscapes and general objects, but they are nice :)

The photos on my blog's gallery are all personal pics and most where taken with my P&S that I take on backpacking trips.

When my gallery is up (in the next few days) I will post the commercial jobs, portraits, and anything that I can find that has a release that allows me to.

This is getting good. Now you all should not give him such a hard time. One if by chance he is a true Pro then it would be rude. However if he is just talking smack then he will learn in do time that to try and promote your photography through other pros is a lost cause and is like trying to sell a used car to a car lot for what it is actually worth.
Shuttercreaft if you would like to use some of my photos in your publication I would be willing to sell you a license to do so let me know the reign subscription count and is this quarterly, monthly, what. If you want pro work you will pay for it. trying to get content on just saying your name will get out there will only get no name amateurs trying every thing they can to get their name out. A magazine full of no names has a very narrow market to large clients.
This is shutercrafts current gallery. Life Can Be Hard « Blog Archive « Shuttercraft’s Gallery (P.S. direct on camera flash does not shout pro)

I will say... his suggestions are truly groundbreaking though... if you look at it...

basically the whole original post says..

I've done it, now you can too. If you are interested, and it's something you enjoy.

All you have to do is take classes, practice, work for other photographers and read, read, read.

And for business suggestions, read some more.

Absolutely no specifics... kind of like any vague infomercial you see on tv saying that you can make a bundle buying houses for 600 bucks that are worth 100,000 dollars. It doesn't say any specifics, just that he's done it, so have others and you can too.

This is getting good. Now you all should not give him such a hard time. One if by chance he is a true Pro then it would be rude. However if he is just talking smack then he will learn in do time that to try and promote your photography through other pros is a lost cause and is like trying to sell a used car to a car lot for what it is actually worth.
Shuttercreaft if you would like to use some of my photos in your publication I would be willing to sell you a license to do so let me know the reign subscription count and is this quarterly, monthly, what. If you want pro work you will pay for it. trying to get content on just saying your name will get out there will only get no name amateurs trying every thing they can to get their name out. A magazine full of no names has a very narrow market to large clients.
This is shutercrafts current gallery. Life Can Be Hard « Blog Archive « Shuttercraft’s Gallery (P.S. direct on camera flash does not shout pro)

First off that gallery is a personal gallery with mostly P&S pictures. And the point of the magazine is to create a community, not to make money!
I will upload my commercial work when my new site is done. 10 - 15 of my jobs have releases that allow me to use the pictures to promote myself. I will upload all of them in the next few days.

PS- I love the haters! :heart:

Amen...lets see those photos!

I'm not so sure what putting together a magazine to encourage the photographic community has to do directly with his photographic skills? Why so much angst over this? I'm impressed he's managed to get this ball moving and I would really don't see why it is so important to try and tear him down... I see that his site is doing something. He's living his dream, maybe some of the nay sayers should spend some more time trying to figure out how to live yours instead of putting him down.

^I agree but I don't think people are trying to drag him down..

The OP's title to this thread is sort of egotistical as he claims to have done it, at an early age, blah blah, yet we see no proof, no photos other than P&S photos, and not a lot of them. If you were a pro why the hell would you have a mediocre P&S gallery up?

I've no reason to question the guy really but it would be good to see some of his work, especially as he's so young and teaches photography. If he is where he says he is I think he's done brilliantly for himself and good luck to him in the future - Just shows that you can do what you want to do if you work hard enough for it.

I'm not so sure what putting together a magazine to encourage the photographic community has to do directly with his photographic skills? Why so much angst over this? I'm impressed he's managed to get this ball moving and I would really don't see why it is so important to try and tear him down... I see that his site is doing something. He's living his dream, maybe some of the nay sayers should spend some more time trying to figure out how to live yours instead of putting him down.

Fair enough. I think this is one of those things where youth, inexperience, and good intentions lead to unintentional...brashness, I guess would be the word. So here we have a forum mainly for pro photographers (of which I am not one, btw), and a guy we've never met before comes in and says "I'm 17, but let me give you some advice about how all of you can be just like me someday...a pro photographer." The reaction to that looks something like this: :er:

The "advice" is meant to be helpful...but it comes off as hubris. Perhaps the correct reaction is to say "thanks, but it might be useful for you to spend some time getting the lay of the land before jumping in with advice -- it's not going to be perceived the way you mean it." But the natural reaction is to take it as arrogance and try to bust the guy down a peg or two. That's unfortunate, but it's human nature.

I can certainly appreciate that. He does come on strong but I chalked that up to enthusiasm which isn't always bad. Hell at 17 having the ability to work a tough job to help afford such a nice camera shows something I didn't have at that age.

You guys should google Joey Lawrence. 17 and has agents in NY and London. tHE KID IS WORLD WIDE AND GOOD

That's Joey Lawrence photog not Joey Lawrence the actor obviously

Yeah. If we want to start talking about age... I think Annie Liebovitz was photographing Led Zeppelin at 17 and I think Jim Henson hired Frank Oz when Oz was 17.

Love & Bass

I googled joey lawrence and he has some cool stuff. I also stumbled upon another photographer yesterday that has some really cool pictures. Here's his site:

http://www.ralfbrunner.com

Most reactions

Back