Becoming an 'artist'

There is "value based" pricing, and there is "cost based" pricing. The latter takes your expenses, divides by the number of sales, adds a modest markup for profit, and sets that number as the price.

"value based" pricing sets the price according to how much value the thing being sold provides to the buyer.

Value based pricing is how Art with a capital A is sold, however. Value, in this case, is entirely a social construct. Your job as an artist is, arguably, to construct that Value.

There is "value based" pricing, and there is "cost based" pricing. The latter takes your expenses, divides by the number of sales, adds a modest markup for profit, and sets that number as the price.

"value based" pricing sets the price according to how much value the thing being sold provides to the buyer.

Value based pricing is how Art with a capital A is sold, however. Value, in this case, is entirely a social construct. Your job as an artist is, arguably, to construct that Value.
to be blunt. (just my thoughts) I think you might get more respect and be taken more serious as a shitty painter in the art world than a good photographer. Some galleries look at the purpose of photography to take photos of what they consider the real art (the painting and sculptures for their brochures or web, newletters.). It seems the ones that don't list their pricing on their pieces (because they are that expensive) you may as well forget about getting photography into. You know when you have to jump through hoops just to get the price you are at a different "level". Not to say their isn't photography in any higher end galleries or like the Boston museum of art but you better be someone famous. :biglaugh:

First step might be finding a gallery that cares about photos to start with. Lot of them seem to concentrate on oil painters, sculptures, and if they are willing to take photos they shove them on the back wall like it is a "discount rack". Space being a premium.
I'll bet that if somebody showed them a really good photograph, they would display it proudly up front.

When they've got every Tom, Dick, and Harry trying to sell mediocre photographs, they simply can't take them all, nor could they hope to make any money on them.

Last edited:

to be blunt. (just my thoughts) I think you might get more respect and be taken more serious as a shitty painter in the art world than a good photographer. Some galleries look at the purpose of photography to take photos of what they consider the real art (the painting and sculptures for their brochures or web, newletters.). It seems the ones that don't list their pricing on their pieces (because they are that expensive) you may as well forget about getting photography into. You know when you have to jump through hoops just to get the price you are at a different "level". Not to say their isn't photography in any higher end galleries or like the Boston museum of art but you better be someone famous. :biglaugh:

Yes and No. At least in New York City..

Photography is widely accepted as an artistic medium here and is readily displayed in galleries but it is valued at far less than a painting or sculpture usually is. Some of the reasons for this are good ones and some a purely based off of the buyers perception of the skill levels required to make a piece in each differing medium.

I'm sure the mentality can differ quite a lot depending on where you are from though.

I think part of the reason photography as art isn't as respected as the classic forms is because, well, photography can have a certain degree of happenstance. A mediocre photographer can eventually take an amazing photo if they shoot enough. Plus, digital has, in some ways, brought down the already low walls of exclusivity that photography had.

Sculpture on the other hand....Well, unless you're some BS post-modern artist who throws clay at a ceiling fan and calls it art, I've never heard a sculptor say "I accidentally sculpted the Venus de Milo."

I think part of the reason photography as art isn't as respected as the classic forms is because, well, photography can have a certain degree of happenstance. A mediocre photographer can eventually take an amazing photo if they shoot enough. Plus, digital has, in some ways, brought down the already low walls of exclusivity that photography had.

Sculpture on the other hand....Well, unless you're some BS post-modern artist who throws clay at a ceiling fan and calls it art, I've never heard a sculptor say "I accidentally sculpted the Venus de Milo."
quantity to. You never know how many photographs are out there. Even numbered prints are questionable. They are easily duplicated. Paintings and sculptures more difficult. The ease of reproduction devalues them as well imo. Hard to feel you are buying something special in a medium easily reproduced.

No of of course not. but...I accidentally cast The Bronze David... :pimp:
Lol.

It definitely makes sense that photography is valued less than something more physical like a sculpture or a painting.

You bring up an interesting point. Happenstance, while very rare if not absent in other forms of art is almost a given in photography. I remember capturing great photographs without putting any thought into them as soon as i started taking a lot more pictures than the average person. It's a matter of probability, like how if you hold down the shutter button for an hour while you walk around something appealing is bound to show up on your memory card.

I think photography is probably the most likely medium in the world for this to happen with... a close second being poetry (If someone talks enough they are bound to say something poetic eventually;))

First step might be finding a gallery that cares about photos to start with. Lot of them seem to concentrate on oil painters, sculptures, and if they are willing to take photos they shove them on the back wall like it is a "discount rack". Space being a premium.
I'll bet that if somebody showed them really good photograph, they would display it proudly up front.

When they've got every Tom, Dick, and Harry trying to sell mediocre photographs, they simply can't take them all, nor could they hope to make any money on them.
doubtful. The vast majority of work on 1x they wouldn't even touch. Often if you look through artists representations a lot of galleries (least here) don't have a single photographer listed as a artist they represent. Nor do they have a single photograph in their listed online collections. I just spent a little time going through the "call to artists" for upcoming events. Dont see much there for photography calls. Instead of them calling you for work, you might be calling them to see if they are willing to take a photograph. There is like art festivals, photo contests, etc, but they are largely separate from the actual gallery scene. So you can have work exhibited, but can't really be choosey. The local local galleries or members of the art association here will take photographs. But they are on more a "public purpose" level and probably funded with local and state grants. Not so much private label.

Last edited:
you guys shouldn't listen to me anyway. You realize what i even look like walking through a gallery? People usually don't even talk to me and just move out of the way and speak quietly amongst themselves. View attachment 97578
Doesn't that automatically imply a HUGE amount of artistic "cred" in and of itself?

you guys shouldn't listen to me anyway. You realize what i even look like walking through a gallery? People usually don't even talk to me and just move out of the way and speak quietly amongst themselves. View attachment 97578
Doesn't that automatically imply a HUGE amount of artistic "cred" in and of itself?
that and the fact i don't even bother combing my hair?

You just gotta talk to people first Brib!! I've seen people who look awful in galleries and found out they actually know a thing or two about art and were fun guys to talk with.

Absolutely, the true Arteest emit's an essential vibration which promotes people to gaze upon him in awe while simultaneously being terrified to approach him.

you guys shouldn't listen to me anyway. You realize what i even look like walking through a gallery? People usually don't even talk to me and just move out of the way and speak quietly amongst themselves.
I get that. Maybe you should hire somebody to be your agent. You don't step foot inside a gallery, let your agent do all the people stuff.

you guys shouldn't listen to me anyway. You realize what i even look like walking through a gallery? People usually don't even talk to me and just move out of the way and speak quietly amongst themselves.
I get that. Maybe you should hire somebody to be your agent. You don't step foot inside a gallery, let your agent do all the people stuff.
That would be great, except i go to look AT the art. LOL

That would be great, except i go to look AT the art. LOL

Well then you need to hire yourself a photographer to look at the art for you.. I hear there's plenty of people who do that weird s**t on these forums actually... :icon_eek:

And to really cement your ar-teest reputation, you have your agent do the art too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back