Bee macro (inspired by TCimages - I'm not kiddin' :D )

niforpix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm finally starting to understand how to shoot macro (properly) after screwing around with my camera on my day off. Haven't done macro in months... Unfortunately I didn't have my 580ex on me, and I still don't have a softbox to make the lighting not as harsh.

C&C welcome!

2767436682_4519d20055.jpg

2766597081_1fd4f6f83e.jpg

2766602225_63b824fb69.jpg

Thanks niforpix. If you don't have a softbox take a papertowel and cover the flash head. This can help diffuse the light more than you may think.

With external Flash, use these settings:

Mode = Manual
Shutter =200
Aperture =f13
ISO=100
Focus Mode = Manual or AI Servo

This will work for almost all your shots.

Battou = that guy was clean before he landed on the flower lol

TCimages = Thanks for the tip. Next time I shoot with the flash I'll try those settings and see what kind of results I'll get. Do you still recommend covering the flash with something like paper towel?

When I shot this bee I had these dettings:

Mode = Manual
Shutter = 125
Aperture = f11
ISO= 100
Focus Mode = AI Servo

I'll try your settings next time :)

Those settings are fine, however it may be tricky to handhold.

Some people use homemade diffusers from those clear plastic milk jugs as well. Anytime you can diffuse the light to prevent the harshness, it's a good thing. I would experiment some. Try Google.

good luck

Very cool shots. He's a busy little bee, hope he took some cleritan before heading to work..........:D

Very good macro shots - the depth of field in them is very good!

I can second the tissue paper/toilet paper infront of the flash - works well!

interseting l have worked my way so similar settings as TC

Mode = Manual
Shutter =1/160sec
Aperture =f13 (after seeing a few macro shooters round here using and getting good depths of field)
ISO=200

and if you can get to sit on the floor for a shot you can go really low with the shutter speeds (dependent of course on your subject also being rather still)

Nice shots, next time you might want to try to get the bees on a more brightly colored flower so they stand out more, that my oppinion though. Very nice.

Sorry for the quick thread jack, but I should be able to shoot macro shots with a 75-300mm f/5.6, right?

Thanks guys! :D

TCimages - thanks for all the tips :)

laxtalionis - wow, that's a pretty good looking ring flash for "home made"! How long did it take you to make it?

photo28 - I know what you mean. This was just taken right by my grandma's place. She doesn't really have a garden other than these flowers. It was the first time I played around with the settings TCimages suggested, so I wasn't really going for anything pro hehe :p

Sorry for the quick thread jack, but I should be able to shoot macro shots with a 75-300mm f/5.6, right?

75-300mm? if it has the word "macro" in its lens title then you would be able to yes. If not then it would only be able to do macro with extension tubes added.
I would also suspect it to be a 1:2 macro and not 1:1 - that means only half the magnification of a true macro lens - good for closeups and larger insects (some big spiders and butterflies) but you won't be seeing the multifacited eye of the insect at fullsize

Good work! My fave is that first one...the composition has the most interest to me

Good work! My fave is that first one...the composition has the most interest to me

Thanks! :D

I agree. I don't like the last one very much out of the 3. I dunno why tho.. maybe because it's pretty much centered? Maybe I should've cropped it differently...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back