Been thinking about purchasing the Pentax 645

Well, being a film camera, the image quality depends mainly on the lens(es) not the camera. Medium format lenses from Pentax have a good reputation for image quality. There are several versions of this camera. Here is a review of the latest. Unfortunately, I don't have first hand experience with this camera, but if it is good enough for Sebastiao Salgado, it would probably be good enough for me.

I'd try a Pentax 645, too. I shoot with a Bronica, only because it was a lot cheaper than the Pentax. I'd be willing to guess (guess, now) that most of the MF systems (Pentax, Bronica, Hassy, Mamiya, etc) are going to be similar in image quality. They were all very expensive professional grade cameras marketed to people needing to get quality images for their livelyhood.

That's just a guess, now.

I shoot a Mamiya M645j and I love the better image quality that the larger neg area affords. I still shoot with my 35 but MF is my pill of choice. I'm sure that you would love the 'Tax if you pick it up.

I shoot with one as well. Lenses are great. The 120 f4 macro is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. The stock 75mm also comes in a pancake in case you need to save space.

Great camera overall. Think carefully about the insert thing (A problem you'd also have with the Mamiya 645 E). I've decided to trade up to a Mamiya 645 AFD, but that's because I want backs and I want expandability to digital backs in the future. I'm switching to backs because they're more convenient when I need to shoot a lot and shoot fast, and because I can't load or unload IR film in the field with inserts. IIRC, some Mamiya's leaf-shutter lenses are auto-cocking, which is sweet if you have a need for fast sync speeds. On the other hand, Bronica's lenses are all leaf-shutter, so I would go Bronica if you want a studio camera you don't need to shoot fast with (They have this dreadful double-cocking film advance than I can't f-ing stand). I only have two complaints of the Pentax other than the insert thing. 1) Polaroid backs are REALLY expensive, and 2) In some rare instances, if the paper backing of your film is too thick (Bergger, for ex.), the insert won't advance.

All in all though, the Pentax is a great, affordable camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back