Beer + New Homemade Light Panel

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by jdunphy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. jdunphy

jdunphy TPF Noob!

On Saturday I built a mediumish light panel with PVC pipe and some thin transculent fabric I found at a WalMart. The whole thing cost a little under 20 bucks to make. I haven't decided what I'm mounting it on yet, though... So not just gets bugied to light stands. :)

@50mm
    [​IMG]

@22mm
    [​IMG]

And the setup...
    [​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice work :thumbup:

3. Tangerini

Tangerini TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow nice :) Look at you being all MacGyver like.

4. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nice softbox. It works very well. My one suggestion would be to use a piece of black foam core on the pedestal under the subject as well so that you won't get any color reflected from it onto the subject. Also a piece of white foam core opposite the softbox will reflect a little fill onto the bottles - not a lot, just a little. Good work.

5. jdunphy

jdunphy TPF Noob!

Thanks for the head's up about the reflected light. I wasn't planning on keeping the surface in view so I didn't even think about that. :)

I actually had some with a reflector on the other side. But the bottles didn't have the nice layer of condensation built up when I took them. Here's one.

[​IMG]

6. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Very effective. Looks like somebody is reading the 'Strobist' stuff. Timely post as I've got a product shoot coming up for an online silent auction.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

There you go. Just right. A little lightening of the label on the right without losing the moody composition. One more f stop would probably bring the label on the left into pretty good focus.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Excellent work! If you really want to get silly; cover the rest of the frame with a white inside and black outside. This will prevent light from escaping. Always include a bounce card or board or whatever. They open the shadows a lot, so adjust your exposure or move the bounce further back. That is why you lost detail when adding said bounce. Certainly there are better bottles out there. I mean these things are just a sea of text. Look for ones with illustrations. I am huge beer fan, but I have to say that wine photographs a lot better.

9. subtleRIPPLE

subtleRIPPLE TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice job - I just built myself a soft box, using an old stretcher from an old canvas and vellum - haven't had a chance to try it out yet, as I still need to buy some lights - what kind of light are you using there in that image?

10. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

awesome shot !!!

youll discover if you use 2 sheets youll eliminate the vertical line thats hidden in the label..... and your expoaure time should go from 1/400
    to like 1/50 or something

Not nitpicking, I just notice a lot of people are afraid to use longer exposures with tripods, and if you can , go iso 100, you should get more leeway with your PS darkroom, in short you can be a little more creative in your editing before you see weird artifacts of any type.

just 2 cents, all in all I want to put this on my wall near the fridge its hot !

11. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    these are awesome. they look cold.. makes me excited for summer :)

this is an awesome set up. I've been pricing out tents online but think it'd be way cheaper to go with pvc pipe.
    this set up also looks a little better than a tent, it allows for larger objects.

great work. nice pics

12. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also use bottles on a surface to add to the effect and use a maglite to take images then overlay in PS

Steve

Attached Files: