Before and after Photoshop...any suggestions?

Well, if you want a photo that sells, than yeah, this isn't it. But it's fun none-the-less to tinker around with...why not get creative? Its not impressive by any means, but I still think that smoke looks rad...

When I have a pic that has no hope I try and deconstruct the pic in ps or create something w it. Maybe u could make a brush from the smoke or create a totally different world with textures and layers. It just helps me learn further the ins and outs of ps

You will find that people on this site normally don't know SH*t. Most of the regular poster's photos look like garbage, They will tell you all day that something you have should be deleted. Most people here are not here to give advice just some negative bs, I guess to boost their post count.

You have people who know what art is and you have people who do not know what art is. This forum has a more elderly approach to photography. You don't see any edgy art here or any art here at all really. Very seldom do you see someone who is good here, or has anything that is different from the regular good photographers. What I mean is, there may be some good photographers on the site, but they are are very similar. What I mean by that is most people have no distinction from their photography and the next photographer. And most do not look at photography as an art or even know what art is.

What I'm trying to get at is more than half of the people who will give you comments don't mean jack ****. Most of the people here do not have an eye for being original and if you want to debate this, to bad, If you don't see that, your not on my level.

Most people have a hard time thinking out side of iso shutter and aperture and leave the art that should be included in the photograph no where to be found.

With all that out the way. The composition of this picture has a **** ton of potential. I mean **** ton of potential. It could definitely be great if you do it right.

When you approach a picture you should think of it as an art piece. The first thing you try should never be your last, try many things.

Focusing in the dark is a *****. So what I do Is got a poll or stick with red on the end and shine a light on it. Place the pole where your going to blow your smoke. This pole that is lit up will make it easy for you camera to focus on what you want it to. Then lock your focus turn, the light off of the poll, and move it.

Once you get into post production what you should do is create depth of field with every tool you can think of. For example Make the smoke the sharpest, then the person a little less sharp, then the back ground even less sharp. You do this process with the darkness, the saturation, and anything else you can try.

Instead of just using blur to create depth of field use other things. Make it make sense. Put what you want the most focus on to have the most sharpness, saturation, and what ever you decide to use.

Shoot different apertures too.

Your getting alot of hate on this picture, The quality is bad, but the composition deserves a reshoot, because this idea or composition to an artist is really a cool idea. This is something the hipsters on flickr would like. Not the elderly taking pictures of robins on their bird feeder and thinking their good because they know how to focus, work the exposure triangle and have seven lenses. So, if your taking a picture you view as art. Asking bird photographers and some people who shoot little toddlers is the wrong place to go. You'll find that out here.

I've seen some things that have been explored on flickr posted here and heard comments like looks like they just pointed the camera at the sun, looks horrible, and why would you want to do that. So, take what the guys say lightly, more than half of them are not artist. Just someone who knows how to work the exposure triangle and think there the sh*t, they for get about the art part of it.

You may know all of this, so if I just talked to you like you were a kid, Forgive me. I do not know who knows this already or who can learn from it. Everything I said, may be bs to you too, so take it with a grain of salt.

There are some people on here who are artist, but not alot.

Hey there Ilovelearning...thank you for the honest and insightful comments. I happen to like being told that my stuff sucks...but yeah...some comments are as other countries say...rubbish. Like "it sucks", "delete it", "don't quit your day job"...etc...and so on and so forth...I have noticed what you do that there isn't much in the way of "artsy" photos...however this forum is for beginners wanting to learn more about the technical aspects of photography...such as exposure...composition and DOF, etc...I wouldn't expect many people here to see an artsy photo and critique it as such...just for the simple fact this isn't an art photography forum...but again...you are honest, insightful and correct...nice to meet you...looking forward to seeing some of your work I hope...come comment on some of my work if you feel the desire...

Hey there Ilovelearning...thank you for the honest and insightful comments. I happen to like being told that my stuff sucks...but yeah...some comments are as other countries say...rubbish. Like "it sucks", "delete it", "don't quit your day job"...etc...and so on and so forth...I have noticed what you do that there isn't much in the way of "artsy" photos...however this forum is for beginners wanting to learn more about the technical aspects of photography...such as exposure...composition and DOF, etc...I wouldn't expect many people here to see an artsy photo and critique it as such...just for the simple fact this isn't an art photography forum...but again...you are honest, insightful and correct...nice to meet you...looking forward to seeing some of your work I hope...come comment on some of my work if you feel the desire...

To add onto this (sorry for the tag-along, I just liked how you put it)
Any image can be considered art, but the second you ask for a critique, it is a photograph with a purpose and is no longer just art. You cannot critique art, only appreciate it for what it is. This is why in most of my critiques I will put a disclaimer about the artistic integrity of the photo, my thoughts may not match up but that does not automatically make my critique useless.

As far as the edit goes you made one major mistake, you destroyed pixels :( just plain old killed em! Look at em, they're practically crawling with their lives!

Notice how the smoke trail seems to have those solid lines now? That is because the gradation in the original image (the blur, as well as general color transition) is gone! Out the window, stomped on by photoshop.

The reason people newer to photoshop seem to enjoy this effect is because it is something they've never seen before! Truly look at every pixel in this image though, you will quickly realize how the lost data looks very unattractive. Specks of color populate the smoke that just shouldn't be there, and because of the random loss of data you are not controlling the ending result; photoshop is. This means you are not owning the result, the result is owning you (which I think is illegal o_O jk)

Ilovelearning brought up a good point about how to focus on the smoke, that technique works well just remember to switch your lens to manual focus if you used auto focus to snap on target.

I really suggest scrapping this photo and starting over as others have, this image won't bring much to you except some inspiration for later projects. Don't delete it, just throw it in the scrap folder where you toss some random images in there.

Retake the shot, spend a long time on it. Nail the focus, color, and flare from the light. Take multiple angles, and finally when you bring it into photoshop CAREFULLY adjust settings, if you barely notice a difference you are moving it slow enough.

Train your eye for detail in images, and you will see what I mean by "dead pixels"

Agent drex, I have not looked at your photos. My comment was not directed at you. Perhaps your approach to photography is as art instead of only the technical side as so manny do. There is nothing wrong with the technical side, it should be 100 percent understood. However, it is nothing with out the art aspect in the equation.

Something else I wanted to say is people have a problem with understanding and seeing art. For example I hate country music, However, I'm able to see that the guys behind the music are really talented at what they do, It's just not my taste. Most people are not complex enough to be able to understand or see the art in something they do not have taste for. For example, everyone I know says little wayne sucks, however, at rap little wayne is legit. Do I like rap? In no way do I like rap, However, I can see the talent in making a beat mastering a beat, coming up with lyrics that will sell to the rest of the rap likers in the world. Most people are not complex.

If you disagree with me, I can't argue with you. I'm intelligent enough to know that if you do not understand this, nothing I will say will be able to make your opinion change.

Ilovelearning...I realize the comment wasn't directed at me...just giving thanks being a member of this community. The art aspect is definitely something that should be included with other photography knowledge as you mentioned earlier, photos start all looking the same once people get to a certain level and without thinking outside the box, sure they may sell, be in books, calendars, adverts...what-not...but they don't necessarily attain a spot in a person's memory as good art tends to do. And that's what I want to ascend to, make a photo or two (I don't care if it's more than that) that sink into someone's memory. I'm obviously not to that point.

You will find that people on this site normally don't know SH*t. Most of the regular poster's photos look like garbage, They will tell you all day that something you have should be deleted. Most people here are not here to give advice just some negative bs, I guess to boost their post count.

You have people who know what art is and you have people who do not know what art is. This forum has a more elderly approach to photography. You don't see any edgy art here or any art here at all really. Very seldom do you see someone who is good here, or has anything that is different from the regular good photographers. What I mean is, there may be some good photographers on the site, but they are are very similar. What I mean by that is most people have no distinction from their photography and the next photographer. And most do not look at photography as an art or even know what art is.

What I'm trying to get at is more than half of the people who will give you comments don't mean jack ****. Most of the people here do not have an eye for being original and if you want to debate this, to bad, If you don't see that, your not on my level.

Most people have a hard time thinking out side of iso shutter and aperture and leave the art that should be included in the photograph no where to be found.

With all that out the way. The composition of this picture has a **** ton of potential. I mean **** ton of potential. It could definitely be great if you do it right.

When you approach a picture you should think of it as an art piece. The first thing you try should never be your last, try many things.

Focusing in the dark is a *****. So what I do Is got a poll or stick with red on the end and shine a light on it. Place the pole where your going to blow your smoke. This pole that is lit up will make it easy for you camera to focus on what you want it to. Then lock your focus turn, the light off of the poll, and move it.

Once you get into post production what you should do is create depth of field with every tool you can think of. For example Make the smoke the sharpest, then the person a little less sharp, then the back ground even less sharp. You do this process with the darkness, the saturation, and anything else you can try.

Instead of just using blur to create depth of field use other things. Make it make sense. Put what you want the most focus on to have the most sharpness, saturation, and what ever you decide to use.

Your getting alot of hate on this picture, The quality is bad, but the composition deserves a reshoot, because this idea or composition to an artist is really a cool idea. This is something the hipsters on flickr would like. Not the elderly taking pictures of robins on their bird feeder and thinking their good because they know how to focus, work the exposure triangle and have seven lenses. So, if your taking a picture you view as art. Asking bird photographers and some people who shoot little toddlers is the wrong place to go. You'll find that out here.

I've seen some things that have been explored on flickr posted here and heard comments like looks like they just pointed the camera at the sun, looks horrible, and why would you want to do that. So, take what the guys say lightly, more than half of them are not artist. Just someone who knows how to work the exposure triangle and think there the sh*t, they for get about the art part of it.

You may know all of this, so if I just talked to you like you were a kid, Forgive me. I do not know who knows this already or who can learn from it. Everything I said, may be bs to you too, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try these techniques next time when capturing smoke. You said that the picture has a lot of potential and I agree. I am no photoshop expert nor do I ever use photoshop. In fact all my picture were straight out of the camera until I joined this forum and realized how much photoshop can make a difference, for better and for worst. This is a beginner's forum and I am just looking for beginners advice, which is what you so thoughtfully provided, so thanks again. My pictures are free to edit, so please, if you or anyone else has time give it a whirl and tell me what you did so I can learn what to do in the future. Drex, your version of mine was even better and all you did was blackened up the background and cropped the light out. It's amazing to see how much improvement can be made if you know what your doing. I want to see one of you 'experienced' photographers spend 10-20 on this image, I feel like this picture has a lot of potential for an experience photographer and photo shop user.

Are you saying i can't shoot, what a joke :lol:

didn't like the lens flare. Can you get rid of it using content aware fill before you apply the filter?

THis is the best advice you will get on these forums, If you do not believe me, then I challenge you to spend 24 to thirty hours of your time doing what i am about to tell you. If you do what I say, You will realize that I am right.

The most crucial thing to you becoming a genius at what you do is to find another genius to learn from.

People on here think that time makes you genius and that simply isn't true. If in all that time, you only relied on yourself to become good, you'll take twenty years. If you find a pro who is giving all his secrets away, you can become good in a quick quick quick amount of time. of course you have to practice.

Now for the amazing advice, that will set you apart from the crowd in your photoshop skills.

First anyone can learn how to set their camera up for the shot and nail the composition, but what makes you stand out is how bad ass you are after you nail that shot, so the guy you want to learn from is

CHRIS ORGWIG at Lynda.com... It's 25 a month for full access to their site, 12 dollars more and you get the exercise files. This price is small. after watching these videos you will be better at pp than 90 percent of the people here.

Here are the titles that will set you apart

Photoshop cs4 essential training... watch the welcome video to get a fill. It will be a boring eight hours but it's absolutely neccasary, You may know how to use pp already but they know more than you.

next Photoshop cs4 for photographers CREATIVE EFFECTS... Tutorial: Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: Creative Effects

This title is amazing... watch the welcom

nextPhotoshop cs4 for photographers Creative color Tutorial: Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: Creative Color

absolutely wonderful video too...

if you watch these I promise you your work will be awesome or way more awesome. The teacher chris orgwig teaches at some college in california. Don't be a fool and miss these, you'll get experience that they teach in the class room from a legit teacher. Not just a teacher who's teaching in alabama.

Ive been taking photos for very very very very very very short amount of time and have been very successful from these titles. It's all about who you listen to... if you do not know that already, you'll learn it. If you hang around dumb people you'll be dumb. Surround your self with excellence and it will come.. I see people on here that have been taking photos for five years and they may be good but you can become bad ass in really a year if you watched all the titles at lynda.com

I would advise getting cs4 because it has alot of tutorials that cs5 lacks, maybe you could understand cs4 tutorials for cs5 though, so do what you want.

One day you'll thank me. I thanked the person who told me about these links. I get paid now before it was just a hobby. You'll stand out, because the other lazy ass photographers don't feel like watching boring 8 hours videos from a legit professor

gs gary, I feel we are on different levels of intelligence, and a debate with you about what has been said would pointless. It would be good entertainment but I feel if you see no validity in what has been said you are a fool. engaging in an own going battle with a fool can be very entertaining, however, today I'm in a giving advice type mood, not a lets talk to a fool who is named gary day about how his constructive criticism is similar to that of, well a fool. I do not remember your comments from page 1, but the ones from page two, do not help the op, there just cut down. People who only cut down are fools in my opinion. So this is what you will get out of me. I will let you have last word for the reason that I do not feel like engaging in a battle with a fool. I would rathe r engage in a battle with the intelligent, where if i did lose, I could learn something. I'm just going to hand your ass to you and waste time that i could be watching Some lynda.com tutorials. And I'm wasting time now, I've got to stop.

Most reactions

Back