Before and after

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by cathmc, Mar 31, 2006.

1. cathmc

cathmc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    EDIT: OK TO EDIT!!! (rookie mistake :))
    I knew taking this picture it would be a disaster, indoors with sunlight flooding in from the side. So looking to improve - appreciate any suggestions!

on the Before picture:
    1. Is there anything i could have done with the exposure to compensate better at the time? (Though I don't remember the settings I used...sorry!) Of course in retrospect I guess I just needed to move to where the light was behind me. What can i say, I was in a hurry...

[​IMG]

And on the after picture: Is there any way to lighten up just the right side of the background a bit more, without re-overexposing the overexposed part? (Again, an easier solutioin might have been not to put 2 black-haired girls in front of a black thing :x )
    [​IMG]

2. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love expressions on the little girls in the photo, so I gave this one a whirl. (I think that's what you were asking, right? If not, I will remove it immeditately.)
    I did two treatments seen below: In the first, I moved the midshadows in Curves, lightly burned the left side, dodged a slight bit on the right side of the girls eyes, to make it seem like the light was spread a little bit more evenly, and then added a healthy bit of contrast. In the one below that, I turned my redo in a mocha colored toning, in an attempt to disguise the hot area to the left of the photo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cathmc

cathmc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Elsaspet - thanks, yeah no problem to take a crack at it (I edited OP to clarify that). I love the expressions too - those little girls were shy but sassy - they let out just a little sass when I asked for a pic.
    I will be going over your post with my photoshop-savvy brother for translation :lol: but thanks a lot for demo-ing that more improvements were possible.
    I'm still kicking myself for not adjusting the shot better in the first place. My eye for lighting and color still needs work.

4. Raindrops

Raindrops TPF Noob!

A picture within a picture ... looking outside the box. :mrgreen:
    What do you think?
    I think with a bit more cleverly done messing with contrast and such like, it would look fabbo! :D

[​IMG]

5. Raindrops

Raindrops TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more.
    Thanks for that - a great picture with loads of fun to be had.
    I hope you llike them :D and enjoy some more tweaking to your taste.

I discovered this picture in a picture thing recently when my files were so big that different things starting jumping out from the screen. It's brilliant! :mrgreen:

6. cathmc

cathmc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks raindrops. The two separate pics approach is a good idea
    Though I do really like the two of them together too...one of the things that drew me to them was that one of them was totally dolled up - makeup and hair, and the other was not at all. (It was at a wedding). And the way one of them looks kind of innocent and doe-eyed and the other is looking at me askance, like she's more world-wise.

7. Raindrops

Raindrops TPF Noob!

Their expressions are wonderful aren't they?! And agree with the innocent and world-wise look!

Yes, I would agree that my versions have changed their feel completely but I don't have the manipulation skills to play with under and over exposure! I'm sure someone will be along soon! :D

8. monicam

monicam TPF Noob!

i like this one..
    edited picture within a picture pretty awesome