Before the Foray

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by abraxas, Aug 22, 2007.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

2. Stillwater

Stillwater TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like the path of the birds, they seem to pull you across the photo. And the lone bird above the horizon really brings it together for me. Bueno!

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You lighted the mountains using the lasso tool and a soft feather?
    It shows too much, I say. But the concept is top! Very nice with the birds flying. Only the difference in noise (very much noise in the specially lighted parts) and unlikeliness of light distribution throws me all off.

4. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How do you do that?

I think the fizz shows in the B&W because I have the nasty habit of continuing processing after I've resized. I like that extra little bit of sharpness for the web.

Here's the color version.
    [​IMG]
    the halo doesn't seem so noticeable even though it was sharpened after resizing.

Here's a 100% detail;
    [​IMG]

The problem doesn't seem so apparent (or existant) with RAW images. The d70 doesn't shoot raw+jpg, so I go with fine jpg. I put the 70-300mm on it for the grandkids to use when they go shooting with me. But I mess with it in the mornings when they don't want to go out before the sun comes up.

Next week the girl leaves so I'll set it up over and get some batch software for conversions.

I messed up and didn't save the full-size B&W, so 'someday' I'll redo it. Until then the color version will go into the catalog.

The contrast in textures between the silhouetted birds and the bizarre lighting I consider the features of the shot. I'm debating whether to bring out the buildings more, but since the buildings are unimportant to me I probably will leave them subdued and muted.