BEFORE You Ask "What camera?"

I'm going to put this in my sig links. I think I'll clear out the stuff on the bottom or just trim this down to one link. Nice write-ups! :)

Hello,
I'm into Motorcycle and Super Bike photography (Noob @ it as i currently use sony digital camera :lmao:) I just wanted to know your DSLR suggestion ideal for my field. P.S I'll be using an DSLR for the first time.

I think the most valuable question is that "how much is your budget?". I said this because even all of your answers are going to the another but it is not within your budget, you'll not have any options but to go with which is within your budget.

You're definitely biased towards film.

Q-3 When we need our images and/or gear greatly influences the digital vs. film thought process.
  • For those who need/want it now and can afford it due to:
    • Flexibility-Film-fast SLR gear accumulation due to price and availability allows for greater range of usable equipment faster
You can purchase a cheap DSLR and some cheap lenses. The biggest cost difference would be the body, but then you pretty much have to have a computer for both, with a way to get the film to the PC. Most places that do print media do it all via computers. You can't show your work over the internet, e-mail to people, etc... without a computer. You also need darkroom equipment if you're doing film...unless you're sending it off for processing.

And quality lenses are going to be expensive no matter what you do with.

And if it's a need it now situation, you're going to be able to get it much quicker with digital.

• Those willing to wait/take it slowly or can not afford the "now" luxury
    • Memories-Film P&S-inexpencive camera, diffused price over a period of time

For the price you can get digital P&S, it's almost a no brainer.

I'm not sure what it cost to get a roll of film developed anymore, but say it's $3.00. It would take 66ish rolls of film to eqaul a $200 camera, and that's not including the price of the film P&S. The digital P&S will have a ton of features that the film camera doesn't, and they upload to your computer so you can send them all over the world for your relatives to see. After that diffused cost, then film starts getting more expensive. Oh yeah, that wasn't including the price of film to start with.

Plus, you don't have to worry about whether or not a shot turns out, you can see it instantly.

• Learning Advanced-Film-grater flexibility with equipment availability, The act of documentation aids in remembering facets of photography and exposure creating habit, restrictions applied by default, added incentive of repeating mistakes gets expensive.

There are plenty of amazing photographers out there that started on digital. Some people learn by doing and seeing the results right there. Repeating expensive mistakes can lead to frustration and can cause people to hate photography. It really depends on that type of person and what they want to learn. Saying a person should use film if they want to take it slow and learn advanced photography is just illogical.

• Short Finances-Film-Digital revolution has brought professional level film equipment down to consumer level prices and consumer level film products are bargain basement priced. Better and more gear for the buck.

Digital photography has become amazingly cheap. Although, more expensive than film, the options for cheap DSLR bodies and lenses put this in a lot of people's reach, rather than having to buying film, pay for processing, or pay for dark room equipment and supplies.

• Flexibility-Film-equipment availability, Prices of lenses remain stable over the years, bodies however drop dramatically. Over all if you don't like your Nikon you can switch to Canon at a decent price. One can get a body and half a dozen or more lenses at or lower than a new digital body of any major make costs.

My problem is that besides the lenses, film bodies are pretty much all the same compared to DSLR bodies. The features in a DSLR body are what make the brands so different. Calling it flexibility to be able to cheaply switch from one film system to the next without really gaining or losing anything doesn't sound like flexibility to me.

• Media Compatibility-Film-One who wishes to switch from one media to the other should start with film, Habits and tendencies developed in film are more accepted by digital than the other way around

But a lot of media outlets and uses today don't do film.

Film is dying. It'll evetually go the way of the dinosaur. It's not there yeat and sure, it can be a good learning tool, but a lot of your "reasons to choose film over digital" are because of your bias.

Over 3 years old and in dire need of an update. Does anyone ever check the stickies and the threads linked up top or do they just not care about it?

Ever noob should buy a film camera!!!! YAY!!!!

Does anyone ever check the stickies and the threads linked up top or do they just not care about it?
Few ever see them.

It's ironic as hell too because to do decent or good photography you have to pay attention to all lot of details in the camera's viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back