Begginer Looking For some C&C

The Mullet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Im just starting to get into photography and im really enjoying it so far. Im looking into getting to know more. Heres some of my first work. Comments and criticism is welcome.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

thanks,

The Mullet

i really like #3. depth of field and coloring is nice. its on the verge of abstract. great job!

Yeah for sure, the last photo is definately the best one. Can't relate to the other two personally. I just love timber and all the imperfections it shows.

I'm afraid I would disagree - I couldn't really see a lot of merit in a photo where 90% of it is out of focus...sorry!

#3 is abstract. its supposed to be 90% out of focus. this image is supposed to evoke something within you. i think it's a good photo.

To me, the focus in #1 is in the wrong place. YMMV!

agreed and #2 has too much in focus.

Hmmm.... I think that #2 would be a lot more interesting it everything was IN focus (f22 or higher)... as it would then take on a more 2d/graphic feel.

#3 is a fantastic photo, some people may not "get" it, but that's okay--any artwork that everybody "gets" is usually pretty bad.

What lens are you using? I'm assuming it's probably a 50mm f/1.8 of some sorts? The third one looks like even the "proper" focus point is out of focus.

Whatever lens you're using, it has a fairly wide aperture and it appears (EXIF anyone?) as if you're shooting wide open. Generally, depending on where you are in relation to the subject, you could stop down to something like f/2.8 on a f/1.8 lens and still have a very shallow DoF with a sharp picture. Lenses, especially those like the "cheap" 50mm f/1.8 and even the expensive Canon 50mm f/1.0 are typically soft when shot wide open. The f/1.8's are generally considered extremely sharp once you start shooting at a narrower aperture.

If you do some reading one DoF, you'll see that DoF isn't completely determined by your aperture, but also by the focal length you're shooting at and the distance between the lens, the object, and the background.

what are your thoughts about your shots?

Hey,

Thanks for all the c&c. even if you dont like it im still starting out and apreciate your opinion. And just to clear all this debate im just using the kit lens that came with my XSI. #3 was shot at 5.6 and 1/30th. I was trying to as much DOF as possible, and i like how it turned out. Im also thinking about getting a telephoto lens, hopefully something used as im a student and am poor. so if anyone can suggest a good lens for me to look at it would be much apreciated.

the mullet

btw, you should try making the images a touch smaller for posting next time. :) usually 800ish pixels on the long side is great.

Most reactions

Back