Begginer trying to take quality photos

Eyezayuh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I just bought my first camera, the Cannon SX-10 IS, a few days ago. I know next to nothing about all the terms like appeture and BKT and ISO. I mainly bought the camera because I'm going backpacking in Europe this summer and I would like to take pictures.

Anyway, my question is, how do I take quality photos during both night and day, ie: what settings are generally optimal. I know my camera has a lowsy flash but I will mainly be taking pictures of landscapes and buildings. Is there a good all around configuration to take good, photos in day and then another configuration for night. Also does anyone know if I can save a configuration on this camera or do I have to go back every time and manually change depending on when I'm taking it. I want quality and I know that slows shutter speed.

Lotts of questions, thanks in advance for all the responses.

-Also I did read the manual but it might as well be arabic as It doesnt explain what the terms like ISO mean.

www.shortcourses.com
www.digicamhelp.com

2 places you can start. It's not as easy as "what settings are optimal" because optimal settings change with available light.

It looks complicated, and it is, sort of. It all looks confusing until one day something clicks in your head and suddenly it all makes sense. It's like riding a bicycle, impossible until that moment that it clicks and you take off on your own and ride. From that point on, you can't figure out why it was so difficult to ride a bicycle, or why it was so difficult to understand the settings of a camera.

Use the Basic Modes until you're more comfortable using the Creative Modes. Most P&S cameras have a setting for landscape, action, portrait, etc...and it should have a night setting as well.

If you want to use the Creative Modes (Av, Tv, P and M) then it's time to just go out there and play with the camera to see what it can do. There is no one setting that would be good for night shots and there no one setting for day shots.

Digital Camera Modes

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

It's the triangle of exposure.... aperture, shutterspeed and ISO. They all contribute a significant leg to the tringla. A book like Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is quite helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back