Begineers help in Zoo Outing!~

My advice is leave your camera at home and enjoy the zoo. There will be 40 thousand people taking photos of the same animals which will just by laying there. I think it takes alot of patience, skill and talent to get a really good (original) zoo pic. Either skip it and go someplace new outdoors and take your camera (thats a ton of fun I think) or go (with your kids?) and enjoy the zoo.

Since I do work at a zoo I will chime in with 2 cents worth of rant. Firstly, do not try to take in whole zoo at once. It's best to focus on the animals of best interest to you first. I work at a huge zoo though (380 acres). Smaller zoos are easier to cover obviously. Make sure the sun is to your back. Check the map and plan your day accordingly. The paths meander quite a bit so keep it in mind. Lighting is key obviously. The patience part comes from waiting around for the right moment to take your shots. All of my shots are in AV mode and are underxposed by -2/3 EV in RAW mode especially around noon. Be mindful of the background so you do not take pics of fencing, bars, buckets, etc. Position yourself properly. The lower the angle and clearer the shot the better. Just wait around a bit for the subject to frame itself for you. The animals are usually bored and pace back and forth. (BTW, nocturnal animals i.e. tigers, lions, jaguars will tend to sleep during the day.) Shooting through bars and netting require you to get as close to it as possible and aim in-between them. Avoid spots where the sun reflects off of them since it will refract into your lens and wash everything out. Bring sun screen, a hat, water and comfortable shoes and your set.

The zoo is a nice place to have lots of practice taking pictures in different lighting and situations. Use it as a learning experience and have fun.

Of course animals sleep, don't we? :D Especially since some are nocturnal and do their hunting at night, they will be sleeping during the day.

Think of it as a place with many situations, nice scenery and lighting variations. I'd suggest a monopod as a tripod is bulky to carry and set up, especially where people will be walking around.

Many zoos have outdoor and indoor exhibits, birds, insects, fish and reptiles and whatever else. You can learn about how your camera works and have a good time.

By the way, many zoos have the copyrights to sell images taken there, restricted. Keep that in mind. Public zoos you should be OK because it's funded by your taxes. Privately funded like San Diego have been known to claim they own all commercial rights. Check it out when you go in, look at the zoo maps and the back of your ticket.

It's still fine to take pictures for personal use. If you take kids or friends, you can always take pictures of yourself and your family with nice scenic backgrounds.

I can't believe all the negative comments from people who think a walkabout at the zoo is a waste of time. It's fun and a perfect place to learn about your equipment. You have nice scenery and hundreds of subjects. :thumbup:

good advice soylaent - when I first took my DSLR to the zoo I went round the whole place - but I tried to select certain species that I really wanted to photograph before I got there - but did end up spending a decent amount of time shooting other things as well. I think with photography there is often that buzz to get your first shot of something (espcially wildlife - even if it is in a zoo) so often your first trip will be your worst as you rush round. After I went I really wanted to go back and just focus on a few really select species to really try and get them in their element

edit - Race you reminded me of something!
If you take your zoo photography serisously ( for some its the only way to see a tiger without an expensive trip, 600mm lens and 3 months of stalking) then you might try talking to the zoo about getting into the zoo earlier - most zoos open late - 10am or 9am 0 and in summer that is way past the "golden" times to shoot as you have lots of glare (As well as lots of wanderers). I have spoken to another who did this (who is way ahead of me in skills) and most of the time they are find to let the odd photographer in - often they will say that they want a copy of all your shots or a selection of the best you have taken even if they are "no good" in your eyes

Just take your time and be patient. Plus don't take any notice of people who say you wont get a decent shot that hasn't been got before.
However do take note of where everyone is standing to take their shots and then look around and see if there is a different perspective you might be able to come at it from.

It isnt a waste of time. Its just boring...and you get boring photos. If you are going with people, put down the camera and be in the moment (esp with with children!!). If it is just you, thats cool. It will be good practice. But there are so many more fun and interesting places to shoot. I guess to me its a little bit like shooting fish in a barrel

Emerana I agree fully with you if you are traveling with other - non-photographer nuts - a photographer shooting is bad company when they reach the scene - wildlife ones especially.
As for other interesting places to shoot, I think if you have a good 400mm lens or a top end 200mm/300mm then you can get out into the wilds and get good results. For many starting out both their kit and their skills *both with kit and stalking* are often to basic and limiting to get many decent long range shots - and that can be rather offputting. Zoos, parks and animal sancturies provide a place where you can get great shots without huge ranges or camo gear (ps - as for boring I have seen some amazing captured wildlife shots - both those that manage to convey a sense of being in the wilderness and those with a powerful sense of captivity
eg: http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=989&p=5410#p5410
sorry about forum to forum link, but his website is in another language

Since I do work at a zoo I will chime in with 2 cents worth of rant. Firstly, do not try to take in whole zoo at once. It's best to focus on the animals of best interest to you first. I work at a huge zoo though (380 acres). Smaller zoos are easier to cover obviously. Make sure the sun is to your back. Check the map and plan your day accordingly. The paths meander quite a bit so keep it in mind. Lighting is key obviously. The patience part comes from waiting around for the right moment to take your shots. All of my shots are in AV mode and are underxposed by -2/3 EV in RAW mode especially around noon. Be mindful of the background so you do not take pics of fencing, bars, buckets, etc. Position yourself properly. The lower the angle and clearer the shot the better. Just wait around a bit for the subject to frame itself for you. The animals are usually bored and pace back and forth. (BTW, nocturnal animals i.e. tigers, lions, jaguars will tend to sleep during the day.) Shooting through bars and netting require you to get as close to it as possible and aim in-between them. Avoid spots where the sun reflects off of them since it will refract into your lens and wash everything out. Bring sun screen, a hat, water and comfortable shoes and your set.

Yupp! lightning is the thing that should be put in mind ~ always.. good info!~ :thumbup: Thanks!

When I go to the zoo I use a mono pod or even hand hold the camera with my new faster lens. Trying going back to a area a few times to get a better chance of catching them awake. Before feeding time they tend to be ative.

Here are some of my zoo shots http://heck.zenfolio.com/p154867890/

Nice series! I like the sleepy lion!~ and the handsome tiger :lol:

Most reactions

Back