Beginer needs some C&C please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jwhphoto, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jwhphoto

jwhphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here is a photo i just took a couple hours ago, using my D80 for the first time. The first is the pic without any editing, and the second i changed the sat and some other stuff... i think i should have made the girl brighter a bit, so she stands out more, and maybe made the water more grey... what do you think? Also, am i making these too big for the forums? how small should i reduce them before uploading to photobucket?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Size-wise your images are fine; a general rule of thumb is to keep them to 800 pixels or less on the longest edge for posting here. As to the images themselves, first off, try to avoid 'posting without editing'. Even the best digital captures require some post-processing work. In the case of the first image, the left side is at least 1/2 stop over-exposed, but since nothing's blown, a bit of work with the burning tool would restore the exposure balance. As well, the image is a little too tall for the subject. I understand that you want give the viewer an idea of the height from which she's jumped, but I think cropping some off the top and a little off the bottom would make for a stronger image by having the main subject (The girl) featured more prominently. With respect to the second, I don't think the treatment is appropriate to the image. I'm a big fan of selective colouration, but in this case because so much of the background is already grey, and the existing colours aren't especially strong, it looks rather insipid. This technique is best used sparingly, and when the colour will be bright and strong against an equally strong mono background.

Keep at it!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

3. jwhphoto

jwhphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Tirediron,

Did you meant the right side is overexposed?

Ill see what i can do with that.

4. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just did some cropping and played with saturation and contrast a little. I'm horrible at photo editing I've only been doing it for 3 or 4 days now so I thought I would try to edit it and see what I could come up with. More or less practice. I'm not sure how to use the blur tool so I'll leave that up to someone else.

[​IMG]

-TAG