beginner at b&w.. C&C welcome

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by y0aimee, Jan 28, 2010.

1. y0aimee

y0aimee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For some reason, I'm feeling the need to shoot in b&w. In my photography class I'm taking this semester, we will be using b&w film. I purchased my very 1st film slr last nite and I can't wait to start shooting & process my own film in the darkroom. This new purchase has made me fall in love with photography even more. Ok enough of my rambling.. here are some recent b&w shots I've taken. Lmk what you think and if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them with me. Thanks guys!

1 sooc. 18-55mm
    [​IMG]

2 sooc. 50mm
    [​IMG]

3 added border only. 18-55mm
    [​IMG]

2. RauschPhotography

RauschPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I feel like the white balance is off in all of them. #3 should be more centered.

3. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +100 for B&W film

1. I like the framing. Simple and understated.

2. Why did you cut off the tops of the bottles? Both the subjects and the reflections are cut off, but at different levels. Not good. Both bottles are given equal visual weight and thus I'm not particularly drawn to either of them.

3. Doesn't bother me that it isn't centered. As it is the image doesn't do much for me. Perhaps if "Love" were really crisp and had better separation from the background?

Keep shooting film. All the cool people are doing it. ;)

4. y0aimee

y0aimee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't know that I should be concerned with WB when shooting in b&w. Hmm.. interesting. Thanks!

1. Thanks!
    2. Hmm.. idk why I only shot half the bottles. lol
    3. Yea, I tried my best to get "love" really sharp, but there's only so much I can do with my 18-55mm lens. I really tried though. :???:

Thanks for the input from the both of you! As a beginner dslr head venturing into film, I'm always open to C&C and tips. It'll only make me learn and become a better photographer.

5. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sign of the times. Some folks can't get their minds around NOT having to fuss over WB. Another plus for film. LOL.

On my monitor "love" is crisp at the "v" but seems to soften as you move out in both directions. May be my monitor. If not, perhaps it's a DOF issue but we're talking about millimeters in distance so I doubt that's it. What was your aperture setting?

6. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First I want to say I'm glad you are excited about your class. There is something about the darkroom...

Second, I will only comment on the B&W aspect of your photos.

#1 is perfect. You have details in the blacks and the whites and a good range of tones.

# 2 and 3 are not bad but they are not #1. I'm not sure exactly why but they don't grab me as much. #2 may be because there is no white but I think, with both of them, it is more a question of the subject of the photo than the actual photo or the B&W.

Good job, I'd say.

7. y0aimee

y0aimee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It was set at a large aperture. That's probably why the 'V' seems sharper than the rest of the letters.

I am extremely excited & eager to learn about film. I've had plenty experience with digital photography from my Canon point & shoot to my Nikon D60, but film is entirely different and I like that.
    Thanks for the C&C! I tend to focus too much on the subject of the photo. I need to remember to concentrate more on the black & white aspect of the photo and capture the variations in the shadows and such. Very good point you stated above!

8. bhphotography

bhphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very nice shots, the first one is well done.