Beginner Books/DVDs/Videos?

Learning the technical nitty-gritty of photography is like learning to stretch a canvas, hold a brush and open a tube of paint. Once you can do these things, you come face to face with a question: how do I go about making a good picture or, in the simile, a good painting?

That's where the 'artistic' side of photography comes to the fore. You can know every nut, bolt and electronic circuit of your camera, be a master of Photoshop(r) or The Gimp and still produce incredibly poor pictures.

The point? Don't neglect composition!

As a start, locate a copy of Freeman's 'The Photographer's Eye'. And take time to read and understand what he says -- don't just look at the illustrations.

No. Get Understanding Exposure - covers ALL cameras. Those "guides" are camera specific, and dont lead to a fundamental understanding of photography.

thanks for the recommendation
clear.gif

I have been finding it harder and harder to spend good money on books when resources like this are on the web.
Digital Photography Tutorials
photography tips for slr photographers
Strobist
[ C A M E R A S I N T E R A C T I V E ]

These are not all inclusive. There are some dang fine websites I have NOT bookmarked and wished I had. I am looking for one that I found that explains rule of Thirds and Diagonals. THAT was a learning.

About every 3-4 months, I go back and review all these sites. Especially when I start to try and understand why something isn't sharp, exposed or colored correctly.

No I am not saying don't go out and buy these books. There are just a LOT of references on-line also. A lot of times I can find the information on-line, and then look at a referenced book, only to find out I already knew that information.

Then money stays in the savings account.:D

Last edited:
No. Get Understanding Exposure - covers ALL cameras. Those "guides" are camera specific, and dont lead to a fundamental understanding of photography.

The very first photography book that I purchased. It's definitely a good read. I flip back through it all the time.

Perfect! Thanks for the information. I have ordered the "Understanding Exposure" book and am looking forward to its arrival. It looks like a great book! Can't wait! I feel like a kid again with this photography stuff. Didn't realize I would have so much fun.
Freemans book looks awesome as well. I will check that one out next.
I have seen a bunch of the stuff on the web and was having a hard time discerning the good from the bad. These links are very nice. They have been bookmarked and it looks like I will need to update my glasses with all of this reading.

Thanks again for the help.

I just bought and am now reading (ok I am taking a break right now) "Understanding Exposure". Very good, you will enjoy it.

Most reactions

Back