annabelle.koopman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm new to photography, and am wanting to upgrade from just taking photos on my iPhone.
I've looked around online a fair bit and am quite interested in mirrorless cameras, as well as film cameras. I'm hoping to find some opinions on which of these camera types would be best/better to get a grip on camera photography with and any other starting out tips! I'm interested in shooting mostly still, more scenic shots than people, and really like the look of a lot of 35mm stuff I've seen around but again am very much a beginner.
A few cameras I have my eyes on (secondhand as I'm on a student budget) are:
PanasonicLumix DMC-GF7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens
PanasonicLumix DMC-GM1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-32mm Lens
NikonFG 35mm SLR Manual Focus Camera Body
Pentax K1000 with 50mm original Pentax lens 2 - 22, 135mm fixed Pentax lens (with fungus).

Any advice appreciated! Thanks! :)

Welcome to photography.

I'm going to make a couple of big assumptions (which may be completely wrong).
1. Since you're new to photography, I'm going to assume (and I could be wrong), that having to schlep around a lot of gear is something you'd find to be a hassle. So a smaller, lighter, more compact camera is something that will make it easier for you to get in the habit of carrying (and thus available for use). B/c the best camera is the one you have with you, and if you don't have it with you b/c it's a hassle to carry than it's not such a great camera.

2. I'm also going to assume that like many women, or older people, a smaller lighter camera will be easier to hold and use (your hands may be smaller than 6 foot man, you may have less upper body strength in your arms than a man the same age as you). Again, I could be totally wrong--you may be the pull-up champ of your neighborhood and competing in body building competitions...I'm speaking only in generalities here. But what this would mean is that a smaller, lighter camera is something you'd find easier to carry for a couple of hours (and I don't mean carry on a sling, I mean have constantly in your hands as you search for possible shots).

3. I'm going to assume that since you really love scenic shots by that you mean two things: landscapes and architecture. And if you're going to shoot those two areas, you're going to want a really good way to stabilize your camera for longer exposures (usually that would mean a tripod but you could also use...a bungee cord, a bean bag with a wireless release, a clamp that screws in to the body of your camera, etc.). And a wide angle lens will matter a lot. And for landscapes and sunsets, you'll want a circular polarizer filter (to provide richer colors and reduce glare) and maybe something like a neutral density filter (so you can shoot sunsets or a long exposure of moving water).

I suggest you look at the Nikon D3000 series (D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300). You can get an officially refurbished D3000 for about $150. B/c it relies on the lens having autofocus motors (so the body of the camera doesn't also have an autofocus motor), the D3000 series is smaller and lighter. It works better for people with smaller hands or less upper body strength or people not eager to carry around 30 pounds of camera and equipment everywhere they go (in other words, you could toss it in a messenger bag or a purse or small backpack and not really notice it).

If you get just the D3000 series body, then a perfect lens for you to get would be the Nikon 35mm f1.8. It's small, light, pairs up perfectly with that body. It has a wide-open aperture so good in low light (and since you're starting out you won't have a bunch of strobes or speed lights...that will come later!). It is wide angle so you can use it for interior or architecture or landscapes. And b/c of the aperture, you'll love it for still life shots. Oh, and it's sharp as a tack--much sharper than any kit lens you're going to get--and it's dirt cheap (especially if you buy it used, but even new it will be only about $200)

One other piece of equipment advice. You can buy a lot of stuff for cheap (like speed lights) and get by or even get a good bargain. Do NOT buy a cheap tripod. The single most important purpose of a tripod is to stabilize your camera. A cheap tripod will not do that. It will be a glorified walking stick. Or a protection device to use against a mugger. Or something to set your coat on. But you will discover you can't trust it for a 5 second exposure. Which means it will be worthless as a tripod. I don't care how many packages where you see them throw in a tripod as part of the deal, that's a waste of the shipping expense--stay away from them.

Last edited:
Film, of course, will not do video, if that's important to you.

I understand the money part, but there is more to consider than simply the camera. Once you have something, you're invested in a system, like it or not. So consider what might the future might hold as far as additional lenses go, etc.

Examine your own goals in detail as for what type of photography you like or wish to try. If you can pare it down to one sentence, please tell us.

Hi, thanks very much for the advice!

As for what types of photography I am interested in, I would say mostly landscape/scenic and street photography. I'm also pretty interested in photographing people as well, but not so much portraiture, more candid I guess?
Sorry for being vague, not really sure about terminology etc and very new :)

Last edited:
Any modern camera will work just fine for your needs, but you need to understand the differences between the sensor sizes.
Panasonic and Olympus cameras make only MFT (Micro Four Third) sensor size.
Fuji makes only APS-C or crop sensor size.
Sony makes APS-C and Full Frame sensor size which means sensor size is same size as 35mm film.
Sensor size has importance for field of view and more importantly low light performance, the bigger the sensor the better it is in low light situation.
For landscape you want a camera that can go as wide as possible so lens selection is important and bigger sensor will be helpful because you reduce the crop factor from the lens.
I would direct you at Fuji, maybe the X-T10 which is a small beautiful camera with good lenses selection and APS-C sensor.
If money is issue then maybe Sony a6000 which also has an APS-C sensor

Hi, thanks very much for the advice!

As for what types of photography I am interested in, I would say mostly landscape/scenic and street photography. I'm also pretty interested in photographing people as well, but not so much portraiture, more candid I guess?
Sorry for being vague, not really sure about terminology etc and very new :)
That's not vague. For someone who is new to photography, that's actually quite specific.

The 35mm f1.8 lens I mentioned would be good for everything you've just mentioned except a lot of street photography (where you'll want a good zoom lens). The 35mm will be fine for shots of people near you. But if there's a couple across the street (maybe 30 yards away)...it won't be as good. Nikon makes a fine all-purpose 18-105mm zoom that would probably fit that perfectly...good wide angle, good reach for street photography. The 35mm will still be sharper and better in low light so for shooting in a group of friends with unposed shots, that will be better.

The point about "investing in a system" is true. Since you're on a budget, you're going to be shooting a crop body (which the Nikon D3xxx series is) b/c it's cheaper than a full-frame body. But it will still serve your purposes quite well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back