Beginner DSLR For Video and Stills

Andrew Strynadka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, my name's Andrew and I started a photography class in my high school, I'm looking for a dslr just so I own one and don't have to "rent" one out from my teacher, I also do a bit of video work and photography for the ski hill I work at, filming in the park and doing follow cams. I was just wondering which of these two would be most beneficial for my work, both are the same price and I know it's a pretty extreme budget, the first is a Nikon D3200 with kit lens for $350 CAD, the other is a Nikon D5100 without a lens for $350. I've worked with Nikon in the past and know the UI from using the D330 and D3100. Back on subject, the D5100 doesn't have a lens, but I think I can get an alright kit lens for around $100. Just a question and thanks for your time.

Just an addition, a reason I would like the D5100 is the tilting and moving screen which would be useful in video on the hill, as well as a little bit of high and low shots. Just something I thought would be a deal breaker.

What is your budget for the body alone? You mention 350 and then 450 (to include lens). And are you looking to just buy a body and you can use the lenses the teacher has or are you looking to get a kit lens in the mix as well? Also, do you plan on going farther in photography after this class or are you just seeing where/if it takes you?

Last edited:
The D3200 would be better at video. It has 24mp sensor with color depth and it has more video settings like 720p 60fps for slow motion.

So I found a deal I feel is worth taking, a d3300 which I've been using for the last symmester for $450 cad. It includes the kit lens 18-55mm, an extra battery, and 32gb sd card. I think this is the one.

It sounds like you're set on Nikon but if you're open to suggestion my daughter used a Canon T3i (I think the current one is a T5i)for her HS Photography class and was very happy with it. Some of her photos are at the link below. It did very well for her nightime photos (these were taken before I had a chance to teach her how to really use the camera) as that was her theme for her AP Exam.

Behance

Most reactions

Back