Beginner in need of some advice!

Hello_Kellee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello i am a beginner in photography, i have a canon rebel t5 and i'm not sure which settings are best for portraiture? i have been using the automatic setting but i would really like to step it up and play around with manual settings any suggestions?
thank you in advance you guys!

Hello and welcome! You're in the right place!

Understanding Exposure (someone link please) is a very easy to read book that will really help you to learn what settings to use. Personally and in short, I would suggest using a spot meter, single focal point and expose properly for your subject.

Hello and welcome! You're in the right place!

Understanding Exposure (someone link please) is a very easy to read book that will really help you to learn what settings to use. Personally and in short, I would suggest using a spot meter, single focal point and expose properly for your subject.

Thank you so much! <3

Hello i am a beginner in photography, i have a canon rebel t5 and i'm not sure which settings are best for portraiture? i have been using the automatic setting but i would really like to step it up and play around with manual settings any suggestions?
Get the right lens.
Add light.
Watch the poses.
Make sure your depth of field is correct.
Focus on the eyes.
Shoot in Raw.
Frame wide and crop in post.

Get the right lens.
Add light.
Watch the poses.
Make sure your depth of field is correct.
Focus on the eyes.
Shoot in Raw.
Frame wide and crop in post.

Awesome thank you for your help! any tip on searching for a Great quality lens?

With a crop sensor body I'd say any lens over 50mm that can open to f2.8 or wider. Canon makes a gorgeous 135L that is just magical.

With a crop sensor body I'd say any lens over 50mm that can open to f2.8 or wider. Canon makes a gorgeous 135L that is just magical.

Thank you so much for all your help! going to look into that right now! <3

I have another question for you, do you have any tips on photographing an indoor event that would require you to not use flash?

I find it easier to not use flash most of the time, as long as there's a fair amount of available light. You need a fast lens, higher iso to put it basic but I feel you are getting way ahead of your self. Learn your gear. ;)

I find it easier to not use flash most of the time, as long as there's a fair amount of available light. You need a fast lens, higher iso to put it basic but I feel you are getting way ahead of your self. Learn your gear. ;)

Thanks for the advice! Just want to catch some photos of a school play but no flash photography is allowed..was curious how to capture photos of my cousin while she is on stage with out breaking the rules. Definitely learning my gear and doing research thanks for all your help you have been wonderful!

stage light is way bright, you just need to meter and focus and not over expose.

stage light is way bright, you just need to meter and focus and not over expose.

You rock!
Yes.

Yes, he does.

One thing that I might add; talk to the person in charge of producing the play. Flash will not be allowed during a live performance, but if you catch the producer in a helpful mood, you might get wing access or orchestra pit access. Getting close will definitely help.

Another possibility is to "borrow" the stage during a down time, such as after practice, for instance. If you offer promotional photos to the cast and crew, they might be very helpful.

Most reactions

Back