Beginner in photography

Keith242

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What's the best all around lens for some one who is beginning photography ?

Medium-wide to short-telephoto zoom lens. In full-frame parlance, this would be a 35mm to 135mm zoom. Wide-angles in the medium range (28mm or 35mm) are easy to learn to shoot, and do not require near as much discipline and composing skills as do wider-angle lenses. Medium telephoto (up to about 135mm or 150mm, in Full-Frame type angles of view) setting are fairly easy to work with.

In today's camera market, for APS-C sensor sized cameras, the standard beginning lens is the 18-55mm or "kit zoom". Multiply 18mm x 1.5 or by 1.6 and you get roughly a 28mm lens, with the top end of the zoom's 55mm setting delivering an old-school full-frame (AKA 135mm film format, 24x36mm negative size, 4x6 inch print ratio) equivalent of about an 88mm lens, or a short telephoto.

"Medium" telephoto would be 105mm to 135mm, perhaps 150mm or 180mm at the top end.

I think that while learning, the medium-wide-angle to medium-telephoto focal lengths are the easiest,. and the most-productive, for beginning to get your feet wet.

I agree with Derrel.
Also consider 18 mm-105 mm, 18-140, 24-85 or other lenses in that zoom range.

Yeap Nikon 18-140mm is a very good all around general use lens, flexible, sharp and reasonably priced

What about the 18-55 kit lens? Cheap as dirt (all over craigslist for barely any money), and performs OK. This way, if the newcomer doesn't stick with photography, the cost of lens is minimal. Or if they do stick with it, they have more money to invest into more a specialized lens, depending on what kind of photography they find themselves drawn to.

What about the 18-55 kit lens? Cheap as dirt (all over craigslist for barely any money), and performs OK. This way, if the newcomer doesn't stick with photography, the cost of lens is minimal. Or if they do stick with it, they have more money to invest into more a specialized lens, depending on what kind of photography they find themselves drawn to.
That's very true but OP asked for best all around beginners lens, the Nikon 18-55mm is not a bad lens at all but I think the 18-140mm is really what he is asking for.

The 18-55 mm zooms have no telephoto capability.
Which means they are not an 'all around' lens, which is what the OP asked about.

I started with my old Nikon film lens. Favorite was an 28-200 Sigma, that didn't break the bank but I got good photo's with it. Since then I went to the 18-105 and that is a pretty nice lens but ended up selling it and replacing it with an 18-140, love that lens. If I was to start over knowing what I think I know now, the 18-140 would be the one I went with. I don't own a lot of lens, just what I think I can use and I don't have a fixed length one either.

it depends on what camera you're putting it on

On an APS-C format camera, an 18-55 kit lens that usually comes with the camera is great. My favorite lens is a 16-85 3.5-5.6 that I use with my D7000.

I agree, the Canon 18-55 IS or STM is good, inexpensive and sharp

I've got the 18-140 and really like it. I had the 18-105 but sold it for the 18-140. Most the photo's I take are a dog's and the 18-140 gave me just a bit more reach. In the film days I had a 28-200 that became my go to lens, it was a Sigma. Had a lot of range. I passed up the 18-55 as a kit lens when I bought my D5000. Just to short for me. Sigma has an 18-200 for about $400.

What's the best all around lens for some one who is beginning photography ?

If you're a beginner and want just 1 lens, then a superzoom might be a good idea. Depending on the camera system, something like 18-200 mm (APS-C) or on full-frame cameras for example Sony E-Mount 24-240 mm.

I'd say if somebody is a beginner, they don't know if they're a wide-angle kind of person or if they prefer to get closer with a telephoto lens. A super-zoom may help them discover/develop their own style. At this stage the image quality on pixel level is not as important as learning how to compose good photos. Super-zooms are a compromise and usually don't offer great optical performance, but what they do offer is flexibility and versatility.

You would learn most about composition with a superzoom. I think the most important thing at the beginning is to learn how to compose images. If a photo is badly composed, even the best and sharpest Zeiss or Leica prime lens won't save it. After some time, you will know best what kind of focal lengths you mostly use for your style and your subject matter, and can upgrade to a wide-angle, standard or a telephoto lens.

Last edited:
You should first tell us what you want/like to shoot.

I started with a Canon 7D(ebay) and a Canon f/1.4 50mm based on a recommendation from a good friend because he knew what I liked to shoot. Without being a zoom lens, a 50mm on a crop sensor is a fairly good prime lens to start with. You can do landscape, portrait, etc.

You just need to consider what YOU like to shoot and go from there.

Most reactions

Back