Beginner in street photography. Help!

darry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I’ve been doing street for a VERY short time. I’m exclusively shooting on an iPhone 7 +, which I know is controversial, but I find it’s the most discreet option and the image quality has improved with the phones. I was thinking of upgrading to the canon M3, but I want to remain discreet and I’m concerned about the camera drawing attention that the iPhone may not. I wanted to post some images that I took recently and I hope for feedback. I know I’m not great, but any help will be appreciated. Also, any opinions on M3 vs iPhone would be appreciated as well. I’d like to stay with canon as I have canon lenses and I can just get an adapter. Thanks!

street2 by Darrin Maier, on Flickr

street3 by Darrin Maier, on Flickr

street1 by Darrin Maier, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'm unable to view the attachments. I get an error.

Darry85, which lenses have you got? I'd opt for a dedicated camera, rather than a phone. You could do 'street' in touristy places for a while to build your confidence/ technique.

I'm using whatever lens that comes with the iphone 7+. I might buy the Canon M3, but I'm still undecided about whether I want an actual camera even though I know that a dedicated camera will have better quality.

I'm not sure if you can see my images, but I did re-embed them on the forum from Flickr. Hopefully they're visible now.

I'm using whatever lens that comes with the iphone 7+. .

In your first post you mention that you have Canon lenses?

I'm not sure if you can see my images, but I did re-embed them on the forum from Flickr. Hopefully they're visible now.

Yes, i see them now - good ! I like them !

You may quickly get tired of the huge depth-of-field in every image though; hard to get away from this with a small sensor compact or phone.

iPhone does have its very own appeal, and people are not threatened by phones as much as they are by "real cameras" these days.

I'm using whatever lens that comes with the iphone 7+. .

In your first post you mention that you have Canon lenses?

Yes, i see them now - good ! I like them !

Whoops! Sorry, I didn’t get that. I have a canon 50mm 19-35 and 28-80. All EF so I’ve got to get an adapter for the m3.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Reactions: orf
OK, I just took a look at the M3 - APS-C sensor - great! It can be good to develop some way of being that gets you closer to the people/subjects. Like using a small lens rather than a zoom. The flip out LCD as a waist-level finder could help with this: detached/avoid eye contact, don't review the pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back