Beginner Looking for a Good All around lens

Abstract3000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am new to this all and have absolutely no experience but looking forward to getting some.
The main help I am looking for is finding an all around good (Not in the Thousands Range) lens for the following activities

- The Kids High School Dance Competitions, plays, and Choir concerts

Looking for something that can take decent still shots from a bit of a distance as you are typically a few rows back in the theater or up in the bleachers. I am in no way a professional, just looking for the ability to zoom in and take better shots than a cell phone.

The camera I have chosen is the D3300 if needed, though I was thinking most Nikon Lens were universal.

Thanks for your consideration.

Well, I'm looking at getting a 70-200mm DX lens for shooting at more distance than the basic kit lens allows. It's pretty cheap for what it does. I think you'd need the same model I do, the AF-S one.

Now, if you want to spend more money then there are lots of other options.

Unfortunately there is no cheap option when shooting indoors with bad lighting. I would imagine your best bang for the buck lens would be the Tamron 70-200 Sp 2.8 VR lens. You should be able to get it new for around a $1000, or used for around $700. It is a lens used by quite a few pros, but it is relative heavy (if you are used to the kit lens). This will be my next lens for sure.

Seeing that your camera does not have an autofocus motor, many of the older Nikon lenses (without AF motor) will only be manual focus on your camera. Which could be tricky for someone just starting out.

Hi

You are correct that you can use all modern Nikon lenses on your camera. Look for AF-S G lenses. The DX lens range is specifically made for your type of DX camera, they are smaller & lighter than FX lenses, but they are also cheaper - often significantly cheaper. You can also use FX lenses if you wish.

An option to consider is the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VRII DX ED

This lens is of reasonable quality, certainly equal to your 18-55 kit lens. The minus part is that it does not have a very wide aperture. This means that in poor lighting conditions, you may find it difficult to be able to keep a fast shutter speed & low noise.

Another option is the Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR. This would let you zoom in closer, but once again it does not have a very wide aperture & in my experience, this lens is not too sharp one you get past 200mm.

Next step up would be the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR. This is an FX lens so will be a little bigger & heavier. It has a good zoom & although still not a wide aperture, the lens is of reasonable quality.

To do it properly, you really are going into the thousands though. Best options would be a Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II IF-ED. Excellent for what you need, but expensive & arguably a little heavy for your camera. The second hand route is possible, but make sure you look at AF-S G lenses, as the older D lenses will not autofocus with your camera. If however you don't mind manual focus, this would open up a huge range of older Nikon manual focus lenses, some which can be bought quite cheaply & would give excellent quality.

Thank you all for the suggestions, just to be clear, I haven't actually purchased the body as of yet it was just the one I was wanting. My actual hobby is Reef Aquariums and my main focus was to get ahold of a Macro lens for getting shots of Corals. I have a friend with this model who takes the most amazing photos. Pictures of the kid was just a 2nd thought as aside from that I really have never had much interest in cameras, and I didn't just want it sitting around :)

I wasn't looking to spend a great deal of money on a lens, I figured there had to be something though within the couple hundred range that would do far better than a Cell Phone, I personally am satisfied with shots from the galaxy if I'm close to the front row, though trying to Zoom any bit at all with a phone is just a grainy mess.

So with the Given Options, and as Gooner pointed out the Lack of AF Motor, is there a different model of Nikon I might want to be looking at? I know it's a much older model, but was hoping to keep the body in the $300-500 range (After All I am completely new to this) obviously I would pay more for a camera that would include a nice Kit lens with a decent zoom capability.

And again I appreciate all the suggestions, I am still looking through them getting an idea of whats out there.

This image of one of my Discus was taken with a Nikon D810 with Nikkor 105mm f2.8 micro.

The D3300 would be a fine camera for you to learn with. If you can push the budget, consider the D5500 which has a better sensor & auto focus system. Both would require AF-S G lenses.

DSC_0009f.jpg

I add that for your camera it all depends on budget. Bear in mind that if you get the "bug" your budget may get reallocated from things like food, clothing etc! ;)

Good entry level great for learning: D3300. Problem is that you may feel you've outgrown it due to the less advanced auto focus system.

Good entry level/enthusiast: D5500. Advantage with this is that you're more likely to be happier with this camera for longer as it has a better autofocus system.

Good enthusiast: D7200. Jumping in at the deep end, a bigger & heavier camera, but it has an internal focus motor so can use older D lenses. Very good auto focus, excellent sensor, one of the very best crop sensor cameras.

Wow! That's Gorgeous!

Thanks, I posted it because you mentioned aquariums. Note that the lens though, is not the same as you would normally used for your event shots.
Correct, from what you mentioned it appears you used a macro lens, one like my friend uses with an Avast Port Hole he attaches to it so he can drop it into water and get better shots.

I have been reading several reviews and the D5500 comes up quite often, I was looking at it I guess I didn't realize how important the Auto Focus system was, and just like Gooner and you have mentioned I would probably be much happier going that route. I guess I should have probably titled the thread something like all around budget lens, as I know the range from $150 - $10k+ from what I have been seeing.

Unfortunately there is no cheap option when shooting indoors with bad lighting. I would imagine your best bang for the buck lens would be the Tamron 70-200 Sp 2.8 VR lens. You should be able to get it new for around a $1000, or used for around $700. It is a lens used by quite a few pros, but it is relative heavy (if you are used to the kit lens). This will be my next lens for sure.

Seeing that your camera does not have an autofocus motor, many of the older Nikon lenses (without AF motor) will only be manual focus on your camera. Which could be tricky for someone just starting out.

Is this the Lens your talking about?
104A001.jpg

So just curious I got the 70-200 part but what does the "F/2.8 Di" mean?

Difficult to say from the picture, but it should be the newest version of that lens with VC with a Nikon mount. Here is a a thread of one of our members that got the canon version of this lens and he seems happy with it.

Tamzooka tests

A good flash would also be quite important for your coral photos. I will put up a few shots I took recently at an Aquarium. If I were you, I would probably get the D3300 with a 18-105/140 lens for a decent price, then add a flash for the coral shots. Then take a boat load of pictures and learn what your needs are before spending too much on lenses that won't see much use.

These shots were shot with my Nikon D7200 and 18-140 lens using the pop up flash. I was allowed to use the flash as the Aquarium wanted some new pictures for the information boards. This was just a quick test, I will go back with a 'proper' flash at some point.

_0DR2719.jpg

_0DR2717.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Multifasciatus and Brichardi. I have been keeping Lake Tanganyika Cichlids for years now, since taking down my reef tank.

The 18 - 300 is a good all around lens. Its not perfect for any one thing but nicer than swapping lenses every shot or 2.

Welcome @Abstract3000 . I know you said lens but have you considered a high end point shoot camera? You could still buy a DSLR down the road and use this for travel as I tend to do and they get the job done.

The best one you can get is the Sony RX10. It's around $800 for the first version and $1200 for the II version, $1500 for III version but longer focal length 600mm. It will perform nicely in low light and offer a reasonable zoom range, 24 - 200mm, plus it's weather sealed. It has a 1" sensor and offers f/2.8 throughout it's focal range. Photo quality is excellent and also takes great video.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Review
RX aeternus? Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 II review
Hands-on with the Sony RX10 III

Another option if cost is a concern, Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 f/2.8 at the long end. Very fast focusing, 1" sensor.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Review

Most reactions

New Topics

Back