Beginner Looking for a Good All around lens

Well thanks for all the input it was much appreciated :) I have continued to do allot of reading and stopped by Fry's to get a look of each of the models and play with them. I decided I would simply go with the following setup:

Nikon D5500
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP Macro
NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
NIKKOR AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II

I know my macro lens isn't auto, but I don't mind I can learn to manually adjust it and I will have plenty of time to figure it out as the tank sits in my living room and it will be on a tripod :) The other 2 lenses I think will do more than great for the wife's expectations of photos for basic things.

I think that Tamron lens and the D5500 would be a combination that would be a good trade off to work both for the reef aquarium and the dance recitals. The "macro" feature allows close focusing of about a meter from the subject at the 200mm end of the zoom range and that should work decently for use with the reef aquarium. The f/2.8 is fast enough to really help get decent shots at the indoor events like the recital hall.

For about the same price there is the Nikon 100mm f/2.8 micro. It will work beautifully for the reef aquarium shots and with the focus limiter switch engaged it will do OK in the recital hall/auditorium, but you are fixed at 100mm so if you are stuck in one place it will be difficult to frame the shots.

Both of these lenses can be slow to focus, but they are a big step up over a cell phone.

The nikkor 105 micro is lightning fast, it burn your eyes when it hunts.
So why you say it can be slow to focus I have no idea ?

I think that Tamron lens and the D5500 would be a combination that would be a good trade off to work both for the reef aquarium and the dance recitals. The "macro" feature allows close focusing of about a meter from the subject at the 200mm end of the zoom range and that should work decently for use with the reef aquarium. The f/2.8 is fast enough to really help get decent shots at the indoor events like the recital hall.

For about the same price there is the Nikon 100mm f/2.8 micro. It will work beautifully for the reef aquarium shots and with the focus limiter switch engaged it will do OK in the recital hall/auditorium, but you are fixed at 100mm so if you are stuck in one place it will be difficult to frame the shots.

Both of these lenses can be slow to focus, but they are a big step up over a cell phone.

The nikkor 105 micro is lightning fast, it burn your eyes when it hunts.
So why you say it can be slow to focus I have no idea ?

I like the "burn your eyes" comment. I only noted it "can be slow"; if it misses the focus and has to go through the larger focus range than a normal lens. I have the 60mm micro and often wish it had a focus limit switch. Part of this also depends on the AF of the camera body, but the OP is looking for an entry level camera.

Most reactions

Back