Beginner looking for a good entry camera

You sure are right regarding the rather high prices of e-mount lenses. For me that is one of two major drawbacks of the e-mount system (the other one being the use for studiowork I mentioned).
But the mentioned wildlife photography is rather specific. Also using those long telephoto lenses for kids sports. 99% of the people I know shoot with a kit lens + (if at all) a relatively cheap telephoto lens up to 200mm.
Looking at the development in this industry, I bet in 5 years from now things will look totally different. There are so many great new lens manufacturers just starting out. The market is in a state of change.
The OP was looking for a good entry camera, and for the moment the cameras I mentioned are hard to beat for several reasons.
But I'm not a fanboy, so your points are valid and I think the mentioned options including the bridge camera give the OP some thoughts.
A note regarding bridge cameras though: one thing people (especially enthusiastic beginners) keep asking me over and over is: how can I get that nice blurred background. One factor for that is sensor size, and there bridge cameras have some limitations. Just to add another thought.

The problem with the Emount though is that sony has such a small market share that unless something significant changes, it's not likely to garner much support. The other issue of course is that other manufacturers such as Sigma or Tamron are unlikely to put support behind the E-mount when Sony itself has a pretty bad track record on it's own.

As far as anyone can tell the A-mount is now dead, no longer being supported by Sony. So all of the folks that have A mount equipment, well most likely the last of the Sony A mounts they'll be able to purchase is the A77 II. Doesn't look like Sony will be making anything in the A mount after that.

When you abandon formats like that, well it doesn't sit well with consumers or third party manufacturers. It's a real shame too, because Minolta had some damn fine lenses.

I´m not a fanboy of any system - I don´t even have an A-mount camera, but: announced Nov 15th 2015: a68

Again, interesting.. but even if Sony does plan to continue to support the A mount with a few releases here and there it really doesn't alleviate the many other issues they have with the lack of support for the E mount.

It's a real shame too, because Minolta had some damn fine lenses.
Unfortunately somehow Sony managed to inherit those lenses, but not the skill to design new good lenses. They seem to be completely dependent upon Zeiss for that.

It's a real shame too, because Minolta had some damn fine lenses.
Unfortunately somehow Sony managed to inherit those lenses, but not the skill to design new good lenses. They seem to be completely dependent upon Zeiss for that.

Man I would just love to see Sony get it's act together. They have such great ideas and they could truly bring some revolutionary stuff to the market. But it's almost like there is a disconnect there somewhere.

Where going to put out some cameras with a amazing FPS rates.. but were going to equip them with some iffy AF systems so yes, you can shoot a ton of frames, but not that many will be in focus.

We make some of the best sensors in the world.. but for some reason our camera bodies in the A mount don't have nearly as good of noise reduction as our competition.. even though they are using our sensors....

Look! We came out with this fantastic new Emount and mirroless combination. Your Amount lenses you were using? Well we will make an adapter for you eventually.. but not one that really works worth a crap... In the meantime feel free to choose between any one of the three leneses we have available for the actual emount...

You need video? We have spectacular video features. Well, for about 3 minutes or so till the camera overheats and shuts down....

Argggh! Seriously I just want to find these guys and slap them sometimes. They have such great ideas, and they just never seem to realize them into a finished, stellar product the way they could. Instead it seems like they are always running off on another tangent.

As a beginner (but also a good philosophy for later) you should not buy more camera than you need. Keep things as simple as possible. Cameras that are easy to use with separate buttons for the important things like ISO and WB are preferable. The last thing you want is a device that is all singing and dancing but requires that you have to search through an extensive menu list every time you want to change something.

I really am nobody who is bound to a certain brand. I have been shooting Canon and recommending Nikon, I now own 4 Sony bodies and 5 Canon bodies (I have a hard time selling older bodies because sooner or later I'm gonna need them for whatever reason), so I would consider myself rather unbiased. (bragging mode end)
I wonder if you ever tried one of their cameras.
I just yesterday had a shooting with a dog running towards the camera. Canon 5DIII vs Sony a7rII vs Sony a6000. I needed to get that shot for our photo course, it wasn't meant as a comparison. All cameras equipped with 70-200mm f4 (both native). The amount of well focussed images on both Sonys: around 20. Canon:1 (trust me, I tried various focus modes - before and this time too).
I need to admit that the Canon lens is the older lens, and it sometimes took the Sonys rather long to write to the (fast) cards. But what is this bashing all about? I read that mirrorless can't focus as fast as DSLRs, I read that Sony can't produce good lenses...
I have yet to find a Canon lens that beats my 55mm 1.8 Zeiss. Not even when I stop the c
Canons down, can they compete with the Zeiss wide open (again I need to admit that I own mostly older Canon lenses 4-10 years). Yes, it's a Zeiss and not a Sony, but why should I care?
Regarding noise: The day before I shot another dog (same result btw): it became later in zhe afternoon. For my aesthetics I wouldn't use any image from Canon 5DIII above ISO800 (just like the much cheaper a6000), unless I had no other choice. Sony a7rII: ISO2000, no deal.
Everybody can have his choice, but why are people putting other manufacturers than theirs down, if these cameras are obviously great? I don't think it makes much sense to discuss this matter further in this thread, so please apologize if I no longer take part in Sony vs the rest. Let's just be fair to all brands.
EDIT: okok, can't refuse ;). Regarding the lack of e-mount lenses and support for other equipent: two things:
  1. Look at what's happening at photokina (lenses, or e.g. profoto, elinchrom, etc.)
  2. What about Canon or Nikon mirrorless? They too produced a new system, but where are all the lenses? If I quickly look at a price comparing site under lenses, it says Nikon1:33 Canon EF-M:65 Sony E: 147 Any acessories from professional studio flash manufacturers? not that I know.
So my impression is in fact: the system evolves fairly quick and gained even more momentum just recently. So keep an eye on.

Last edited:
I really am nobody who is bound to a certain brand. I have been shooting Canon and recommending Nikon, I now own 4 Sony bodies and 5 Canon bodies (I have a hard time selling older bodies because sooner or later I'm gonna need them for whatever reason), so I would consider myself rather unbiased. (bragging mode end)
I wonder if you ever tried one of their cameras.
I just yesterday had a shooting with a dog running towards the camera. Canon 5DIII vs Sony a7rII vs Sony a6000. I needed to get that shot for our photo course, it wasn't meant as a comparison. All cameras equipped with 70-200mm f4 (both native). The amount of well focussed images on both Sonys: around 20. Canon:1 (trust me, I tried various focus modes - before and this time too).
I need to admit that the Canon lens is the older lens, and it sometimes took the Sonys rather long to write to the (fast) cards. But what is this bashing all about? I read that mirrorless can't focus as fast as DSLRs, I read that Sony can't produce good lenses...
I have yet to find a Canon lens that beats my 55mm 1.8 Zeiss. Not even when I stop the c
Canons down, can they compete with the Zeiss wide open (again I need to admit that I own mostly older Canon lenses 4-10 years). Yes, it's a Zeiss and not a Sony, but why should I care?
Regarding noise: The day before I shot another dog (same result btw): it became later in zhe afternoon. For my aesthetics I wouldn't use any image from Canon 5DIII above ISO800 (just like the much cheaper a6000), unless I had no other choice. Sony a7rII: ISO2000, no deal.
Everybody can have his choice, but why are people putting other manufacturers than theirs down, if these cameras are obviously great? I don't think it makes much sense to discuss this matter further in this thread, so please apologize if I no longer take part in Sony vs the rest. Let's just be fair to all brands.
EDIT: okok, can't refuse ;). Regarding the lack of e-mount lenses and support for other equipent: two things:
  1. Look at what's happening at photokina (lenses, or e.g. profoto, elinchrom, etc.)
  2. What about Canon or Nikon mirrorless? They too produced a new system, but where are all the lenses? If I quickly look at a price comparing site under lenses, it says Nikon1:33 Canon EF-M:65 Sony E: 147 Any acessories from professional studio flash manufacturers? not that I know.
So my impression is in fact: the system evolves fairly quick and gained even more momentum just recently. So keep an eye on.
Have tried Sony cameras. Yes. That's what frustrates me so much about them. It's like having a Ferrari but the engine was replaced by one out of a chevette. You put your foot to the floor only to realize, nope, it's not happening the way it's supposed too.

Like I said, Sony has a ton of potential and some truly remarkable ideas, but they can never seem to get them all together in a finished product where everything works the way it should. They get like 70%-80% of the way there and then flit off to do something new without ever really finishing the initial project.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

1. What about Canon or Nikon mirrorless? They too produced a new system, but where are all the lenses? If I quickly look at a price comparing site under lenses, it says Nikon1:33 Canon EF-M:65 Sony E: 147 Any acessories from professional studio flash manufacturers? not that I know.
My pro-ish Nikon flash stuff works with my small pocket Nikon P7800. So I can use that as a "studio" camera if I want. Though it looks odd with a radio trigger on top of it, a flash itself or a wired flash. But it all works.

1. What about Canon or Nikon mirrorless? They too produced a new system, but where are all the lenses? If I quickly look at a price comparing site under lenses, it says Nikon1:33 Canon EF-M:65 Sony E: 147 Any acessories from professional studio flash manufacturers? not that I know.
My pro-ish Nikon flash stuff works with my small pocket Nikon P7800. So I can use that as a "studio" camera if I want. Though it looks odd with a radio trigger on top of it, a flash itself or a wired flash. But it all works.

I have to admit that´s a valid point ;)

1. My pro-ish Nikon flash stuff works with my small pocket Nikon P7800. So I can use that as a "studio" camera if I want. Though it looks odd with a radio trigger on top of it, a flash itself or a wired flash. But it all works.

but that's how they all work. My "pro-ish" Canon flash works with Canon gear including DSLR, mirrorless and old Powershot P&S camera models

1. My pro-ish Nikon flash stuff works with my small pocket Nikon P7800. So I can use that as a "studio" camera if I want. Though it looks odd with a radio trigger on top of it, a flash itself or a wired flash. But it all works.

but that's how they all work. My "pro-ish" Canon flash works with Canon gear including DSLR, mirrorless and old Powershot P&S camera models
Yes, and no need for*new* flash gear

Most reactions

New Topics

Back