beginner looking for camera advice

The T1i is your best bet for an ENTRY LEVEL SLR. The Canon 5D is NOT (not saying it isn't an outstanding camera, but it's not beginner in any way). If you are just getting into the field, you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a camera that you won't use all of the features on.

Common sense, people... and reading comprehension. Fo' real.

Why? Please explain? Because IIRC, the 5D is probably one of Canon's simplest cameras. It has the better controls that every camera above their rebel line up has and other than that, there are no other outstanding features that it has on it. I mean, the T1i would be a more complicated camera to figure out. The only reason some one could argue that it's not a beginner's camera is because of the full frame sensor, but that would be a silly arguement.

So please tell me the common sense behind why a used 5D would be such a horrible choice for this person and why they wouldn't use all the features on it...are you taking about autofocus? Shutter speed or aperture adjustments? The shutter button? I don't think there's much more to the camera than that.

Is it because you think a full frame sensor isn't something a beginner should be privy to?

Simply because they said they were a beginner, looking for a beginner camera. Do you understand that I am NOT discrediting the 5D in any way? That I am simply saying that FOR THE MONEY and EXPERIENCE LEVEL, the 5D, Canon's flagship DSLR, would not be a good choice. For an entry level to an advanced user, the T1i with good glass is a great choice.

Didn't mean to inadvertently crush your 5D pride and cause you to get butt hurt. I wasn't "dissing" your gear "bro".

Also, take notice, I never said the 5D was a "horrible" choice. Stop taking things so personally.

Hmm I haven't seen you mention it and I haven't seen anyone else ask - but the first thing I would ask is what is your intended use of the camera? In other words what limitations are you hoping to overcome from your existing camera and, in general, what sort of subjects and photographs are you looking to create?

These sorts of question can really help to work out what sort of priorities you are likley to have when choosing the camera and using it - for example the 5d which is mentioned above would be a great starting camera for someone looking to do a lot of studio work - but not as ideal for someone looking to move into say wildlife or sports work. Certainly any of the current line camera bodies can do pretty much any job ( they key part being putting the right lens on it) but some are better in certain areas than others (and some are more desirable in certain areas than others).

the 5D, Canon's flagship DSLR

Are you perhaps confusing the 5D for a 1D line camera body? Only the 5D is not a flagship camera body - especailly these days as there is a 5DM2. The 5D second hand is not a massive cost above that of a 50D camera body. Infact UK side a new 50D and a used 5D price are almost the same. A refurbished (like new) 5D is more in cos though - but a good condition used 5D should give a lot of life.

Bogus. The XXD line and up have much better controls and are much better built than the rebel line up. I tend to recommend that any beginner that knows what they're doing and really wants to get into photography skip the entry level cameras and find a gently used mid level or so camera.

Your comment is basically telling the person that they're inexperienced and will never learn how to use their camera. It's almost like calling a person stupid, imho.

Wow that was rude. I don't know if you read the part that said "in my opinion." Telling me my opinion is bogus just because it is not the same as yours is ignorant.

He said he was inexperienced w/DSLR's so how is using his description calling him stupid? That is a severe misinterpretation.

Infact UK side a new 50D and a used 5D price are almost the same. A refurbished (like new) 5D is more in cos though - but a good condition used 5D should give a lot of life.

Well in America, $1,700 for a Refurb 5D =/= $940 for a 50D body (new). It's actually quite a price jump in my book.

The T1i is your best bet for an ENTRY LEVEL SLR. The Canon 5D is NOT (not saying it isn't an outstanding camera, but it's not beginner in any way). If you are just getting into the field, you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a camera that you won't use all of the features on.

Why? Please explain? Because IIRC, the 5D is probably one of Canon's simplest cameras. It has the better controls that every camera above their rebel line up has and other than that, there are no other outstanding features that it has on it. I mean, the T1i would be a more complicated camera to figure out. The only reason some one could argue that it's not a beginner's camera is because of the full frame sensor, but that would be a silly arguement.

So please tell me the common sense behind why a used 5D would be such a horrible choice for this person and why they wouldn't use all the features on it...are you taking about autofocus? Shutter speed or aperture adjustments? The shutter button? I don't think there's much more to the camera than that.

Is it because you think a full frame sensor isn't something a beginner should be privy to?

Simply because they said they were a beginner, looking for a beginner camera. Do you understand that I am NOT discrediting the 5D in any way? That I am simply saying that FOR THE MONEY and EXPERIENCE LEVEL, the 5D, Canon's flagship DSLR, would not be a good choice. For an entry level to an advanced user, the T1i with good glass is a great choice.

Didn't mean to inadvertently crush your 5D pride and cause you to get butt hurt. I wasn't "dissing" your gear "bro".

Also, take notice, I never said the 5D was a "horrible" choice. Stop taking things so personally.

I don't own a 5D. You're the one that said he wouldn't use all the features when in fact a T1i has more features than a 5D. Learn about a camera before you try and tell some one not to purchase it because they won't ever use all the features.

Why would a person's experience level make them any worse shooting with a 5D than a 50D? Money? That's not an option for some people. So why is it so much harder to use a 5D than a Rebel? I think it would be easier with a dedicated aperture control and a more intuitive user interface. But then again, what do I know?

Again, why would a 5D be too much camera for some one new to photography that was looking to spend that kind of money anyways? Explain that.

So go "butt hurt" some where else until you can explain why a 5D would be too complicated, when in fact, it has easier controls and less features than the godly T1i?

Bogus. The XXD line and up have much better controls and are much better built than the rebel line up. I tend to recommend that any beginner that knows what they're doing and really wants to get into photography skip the entry level cameras and find a gently used mid level or so camera.

Your comment is basically telling the person that they're inexperienced and will never learn how to use their camera. It's almost like calling a person stupid, imho.

Wow that was rude. I don't know if you read the part that said "in my opinion." Telling me my opinion is bogus just because it is not the same as yours is ignorant.

He said he was inexperienced w/DSLR's so how is using his description calling him stupid? That is a severe misinterpretation.

You're saying that since he's inexperience, he can't figure out anything other than an entry level camera? Personally, I'd love to have something nice to grow with and not be stuck with something that will offer me less value and limitation in the future.

Infact UK side a new 50D and a used 5D price are almost the same. A refurbished (like new) 5D is more in cos though - but a good condition used 5D should give a lot of life.

Well in America, $1,700 for a Refurb 5D =/= $940 for a 50D body (new). It's actually quite a price jump in my book.

Used 5Ds have gone for as low as $1300 on POTN. People generally tend to treat a $3000 camera with care.

If you're just going to pick and chose from what I post, and put words in my mouth, it's not probable that I am going to take any of your advice as other than mindless blabber. The title of the post is "beginner looking for camera advice". Now, when I searched for "entry level DSLR's", some of the first ones that came up were the Nikon D5000, and the Canon T1i. Interesting, ain't it?

Upon further researching (see: typing "Professional DSLR's" into google), it came up with the Canon 5D, 1D, Nikon D3, D300s, etc. Those probably aren't what he's in the market for, based on the information that he gave the members of the forum. So... I guess what you're trying to do is get him to purchase something he doesn't need.

So, he buys a T1i, uses it a lot, finds out it's a great camera, down the road he decides to sell the body and upgrade. And if he sticks with Canon, his EF lenses will work with whatever he decides to get. Sounds like a solid idea to me.

So, he buys a T1i, uses it a lot, finds out it's a great camera, down the road he decides to sell the body and upgrade. And if he sticks with Canon, his EF lenses will work with whatever he decides to get. Sounds like a solid idea to me.

Agreed.

Makes the most sense. Start simple, then if you want to progress get a new body and all your lenses etc. will still work.

If you're just going to pick and chose from what I post, and put words in my mouth, it's not probable that I am going to take any of your advice as other than mindless blabber. The title of the post is "beginner looking for camera advice". Now, when I searched for "entry level DSLR's", some of the first ones that came up were the Nikon D5000, and the Canon T1i. Interesting, ain't it?

Upon further researching (see: typing "Professional DSLR's" into google), it came up with the Canon 5D, 1D, Nikon D3, D300s, etc. Those probably aren't what he's in the market for, based on the information that he gave the members of the forum. So... I guess what you're trying to do is get him to purchase something he doesn't need.

You still never answered my question. What makes the 5D such an advanced camera that a new user couldn't grasp it's operation over something with more functions and features like a T1i?

You're saying that since he's inexperience, he can't figure out anything other than an entry level camera?

Where do you get this crap? No, nothing I have said leads to your conclusion.

Scuba said:
I would go with the t1i because you are a beginner and it is an entry level camera. The camera doesn't make a great photo the photographer does. The more expensive camera is superior but you don't have experience with a DSLR so most of the advantages will prob not help you. I dunno just my opinion.

Pretty much that, ^^, whole post. Why would a superior camera with advantages over an entry level be lost on some one? Are they not smart enough to figure it out or grow with the camera?

Agreed.

Makes the most sense. Start simple, then if you want to progress get a new body and all your lenses etc. will still work.

Figure you would.

OP - Spend the money on something like a 50D or 40D. The controls and features trump any of the entry level rebels (unless you absolutely need video) and the build quality is definitely better as well. Plus, I believe that you're smart enough to figure out things like the dedicated aperture control and how to shoot with a camera that does 6.3 fps vs. 3.5.

Village Idiot said:

You still never answered my question. What makes the 5D such an advanced camera that a new user couldn't grasp it's operation over something with more functions and features like a T1i?

As a matter of fact, I never said that. But you wouldn't know that because you probably are preoccupied with having your head lodged somewhere in your rectum... (Hope you have a off camera flash so you can light your way out).

I simply stated that he's not in the market for a 5D, and you can't seem to wrap your head around that (probably because something is already wrapped around your head. See: sphincter). This is exactly what I talked about in my other post, you are trying to hold onto every little word I say and try and get this person to buy a camera they DO NOT need (right now).

Now, back to the reading comprehension thing. Can you make use of it this time? With this post? Do you see how I explained myself? How he's not in the market for a 5D? Do you see that? Good. Things should get easier from hear on out for you. Baby steps, right?

Stay in school, Idiot.

Just to throw it out there..

Pentax has a great entry level DSLR on the market, the K-x

Worth looking into..

Village Idiot said:

As a matter of fact, I never said that. But you wouldn't know that because you probably are preoccupied with having your head lodged somewhere in your rectum... (Hope you have a off camera flash so you can light your way out).

I simply stated that he's not in the market for a 5D, and you can't seem to wrap your head around that (probably because something is already wrapped around your head. See: sphincter). This is exactly what I talked about in my other post, you are trying to hold onto every little word I say and try and get this person to buy a camera they DO NOT need (right now).

Now, back to the reading comprehension thing. Can you make use of it this time? With this post? Do you see how I explained myself? How he's not in the market for a 5D? Do you see that? Good. Things should get easier from hear on out for you. Baby steps, right?

Stay in school, Idiot.

Hm, well I am going to disagree with you.

Here's my supporting facts: consumer reports.

Consumer reports recommended the T1i over comparable Nikons. The T1i has better ISO performance and is passable up to 1600 (first hand experience, as I own one). The sensor in the 50D and the T1i are identical. Same image quality, same noise handling. What I would do is spend the money on a T1i, save the extra money you would have spent on a 50D and get better glass.

I also want to take the time to note that if someone asks for advice for a practical camera for a beginner, that you shouldn't try and tell them to go spend extra money where unnecessary. I mean, really? How is that helpful?

"Hey, you are new to photography? You should go buy a Nikon D3x. It's got all the features you will ever need!!!!!!11!" Real helpful insight right there! Unless the beginner in question has $7,000 to blow on equipment.

Looks like you did.

Stop with the meaningless insults and answer my question or just don't respond.

You (Village Idiot) are the one that has been insulting people all along and now someone gets pissed off at you, then you want to talk about not insulting people.

Man you live in your own world.

No one has said that he can't grasp the functions of the 5D.

We have said he doesn't NEED them.

In the most simple explanation...he is a beginner so the t1i is a beginner SLR and therefore why we are recommending it.

You (Village Idiot) are the one that has been insulting people all along and now someone gets pissed off at you, then you want to talk about not insulting people.

Man you live in your own world.

No one has said that he can't grasp the functions of the 5D.

We have said he doesn't NEED them.

In the most simple explanation...he is a beginner so the t1i is a beginner SLR and therefore why we are recommending it.

You may have been insulted by my posts, but never once did I say anyone was "butt hurt" or had their head in their ass.

You posted:

I would go with the t1i because you are a beginner and it is an entry level camera. The camera doesn't make a great photo the photographer does. The more expensive camera is superior but you don't have experience with a DSLR so most of the advantages will prob not help you. I dunno just my opinion.

I posted that I thought that was wrong, the advantages make the camera naturally easier to use and more intuitive in general. Because a camera has faster FPS or a full frame sensor doesn't mean that some one can't grasp the function of it because of their inexperience.

Your buddy O hey said that a beginner wouldn't use all the functions of a 5d, but refuses to point out what those functions are, even though I plainly laid it out for him that the 5D is a more basic camera than a T1i or 50d

The T1i has a crappy layout and the XXD and XD series Canon are usually much better choices.

Let me just point this out, How many Canon shooters have moved from a rebel series to an XXD and vowed to never use a Rebel again because of how much easier the XXD series is? Probably most of them, at least every single user I've seen. How many XXD series owners that have upgraded haved stated that they regret upgrading and want to keep using their Rebels?

Just because it's label entry level doesn't mean that it's the best option. Marketing is a beautiful thing, ever hear this amazing slogan that people continually fall for; "It just works"?

Most reactions

Back