Beginner looking for his first camera

I'd suggest the Canon Rebel XT. That will fit your budget and you can add the lenses you need as you develop your skills.

OK- There are two important parts to any camera systems. The lens and the guy (or gal) behind the lens. I I were facing you delima I would buy the best lense I could afford- I am not a fan of zooms, but that about all you see any more. Then I would purchase a compatable body that maybe did not have all of the bells and whistles on it but was realitily inexpensive, planing to upf grade later If I needed/wanted to. I woudl also purchase my wife a NICE point and shoot with decent lens for her own and to keep her hands off my working camera.
I would also suggest, dare I sy it, a film body that will accept leses you can use on a dslr. I think you learn more with film but that is only an old timer.
Remember it does not matter what you take the photograph with, it is you eye and soul tht counts/ I would spend some time with an experienced photographer or take some classes.

Judge Sharpe

hey i had the same little canon a530 and just bought my first dslr i am a beginer also i went with the nikon d40 just a couple of weeks ago and love it just wish the weather would get nice so i could go play

Ok I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D40. Any other suggestions?
The D40 is $100 more than the XT. Both of them are over $400 ($410 for the XT on B&H, $500 for the D40). I would suggest the XT over the D40, not just for the price, but because the D40 has limitations that the XT does not. Do a quick search and you'll find plenty of reading on XT vs D40.

EDIT: Sorry, the XT is $450 with the kit lens. I was looking at just the body. Still, that's a $50 savings over the D40.

i love my d40 and personally i love manual focusing, so i have 0 problems with the lens limitations. its capable of insanly nice quality pictures also.
super fun little cam.

Yes, of course you can manually focus with EF-S lenses. Also, avoid the XT's kit lens if you can. It's poor; try getting the new 18-55 IS for the XSi, it's optically far superior. It'll cost a bit more but it's worth it.

Normal lenses can't focus very close, so you probably want a macro lens.

Hi everyone. I'm just getting into photography seriously and I'm sure its something I'm going to stick with, so I'm looking into getting my first SLR/DSLR.

Up until now, I've been using a Canon Powershot A530, which has a manual mode which gives me some control, and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, which is more of a Prosumer than a DSLR. I have about a $400 spending limit.

So, heres the big question: What camera should I buy?
I dont want a 400 body that I need to buy 3 more lenses for, but I do want a camera with that option. I am very interested in macro so thats I big feature I want. Anything else, just ask.

Bottom line is that you pretty much can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Nikon is the world's leader in SLRs but Canon's PhD (Push here, Dummy) sales put it in first place in total camera sales. Of course, owning a Nikon SLR will improve your sex life.

Bottom line is that you pretty much can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Nikon is the world's leader in SLRs but Canon's PhD (Push here, Dummy) sales put it in first place in total camera sales. Of course, owning a Nikon SLR will improve your sex life.

Close, but no cigar: And I Quote "The gap between DSLR leader Canon and runner-up Nikon has shrunk to less than 3% market share, with Canon owning 42.7 percent (3.18 million cameras shipped) of the market in 2007, compared to Nikon's 40 percent (2.98 million DSLRs)." :lol::lol::lol:

Here is the article.http://www.pdnpulse.com/2008/04/nikon-narrows-g.html

Seriously though, For the most complete systems you look toward either Canon or Nikon. They don't dominate the market because of their pretty logos. They make a wider range of lenses and other accessories than any of the other camera makers. This can in the long run have the effect of offering better prices on those accessories. With either one you just can't go wrong.

Socrates, are you sure the quote shouldn't be "Owning a Nikon SLR will possibly give you sex life?":lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

Close, but no cigar: And I Quote "The gap between DSLR leader Canon and runner-up Nikon has shrunk to less than 3% market share, with Canon owning 42.7 percent (3.18 million cameras shipped) of the market in 2007, compared to Nikon's 40 percent (2.98 million DSLRs)." :lol::lol::lol:

Here is the article.http://www.pdnpulse.com/2008/04/nikon-narrows-g.html

Seriously though, For the most complete systems you look toward either Canon or Nikon. They don't dominate the market because of their pretty logos. They make a wider range of lenses and other accessories than any of the other camera makers. This can in the long run have the effect of offering better prices on those accessories. With either one you just can't go wrong.

Socrates, are you sure the quote shouldn't be "Owning a Nikon SLR will possibly give you sex life?":lol::D:lol::D:lol::D
For some reason, I can't access the PDN site. In any event, I misread my source - they were quoting sales in Japan.

Your version of the quote may well be correct. Clearly, those that own Canons don't have a sex life and buying a Nikon solves the issue. :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back