Beginner looking for lenses...

JeromeMorrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I've just recently been able to get into photography and after a lot of research and thought on the subject, I went for the Sony a200 as my first camera. I love it, but I'm thinking I should probably look into investing into a lens or two as well. At the moment I'm really short on cash, as I've only recently been healthy enough to work and even then long hours are still out of reach at the moment. So I really can't spend more than $600, at least for the next few months as I'm also saving for university. I've done some research but since I really want to make my money count I'm hoping you guys, who have a lot more experience could give me some tips. Thanks.

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I recently got an A100 with the 18-70 kit lens. After some research, I just purchased a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 and am looking for a 70-210 f/4 (the beercan). I haven't used the 50mm extensively, but so far it's been great. I figure between the kit and the two mentioned lenses, I should have a pretty good setup...of course there are much more expensive lenses, but this is my starting point.

I added the Sony A350 to my cameras and find that the Sigma 18 to 50mm f. 2.8 macro is a great lens. It can be used as a portrait lens, regular lens, and also as a macro lens for close ups. You will find that any feedback on that lens is excellent as well.

skieur

I'm going to chime in here and say that I too just got a Sony a200 and am on a short budget and looking for lenses. So anyone out there with knowledge about what are the practically must have lenses please let us know. By the way, a200= Amazing camera for the money... Thanks in advance guys.

Hey badger02, I'm definetely thinking of doing what you did. I'm definetely getting the minolta 50mm f/1.7 as everyone who has a Sony seems to own this lens and I can definetely afford. I also think I can find some really decent priced "beercan" lenses and will still have cash left over for one more. After that if I add a macro lens I'll have a very good start. Anyone know of a decent budget priced macro that is alpha compatible? Thanks again, this has already been really helpful.

Realize when you are buying lenses, that any lens from 3.5 to 5.6 or more will ONLY be useable outside on a fairly bright day. To shoot inside buildings such as churches or auditoriums without flash, or early morning, sunset time, bad weather etc. you really need a 2.8 lens.

skeur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back