Beginner looking for the right camera advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Vans1jai, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Vans1jai

Vans1jai TPF Noob!

So I really want to get a Nikon. I've had my eye on Nikon d750. I was wondering if anyone had this camera and why they liked it so much and if they suggest getting it used or new. Also, what accessories to get with it for wedding photography?

Thanks in advice

2. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Um ... it was the best compromise available. Good sensor, good high ISO, good AF, tilting screen. Relatively lightweight too.

Could have gotten a D810 instead though. It wouldnt have been a too huge difference.

Wedding photography:
    - definitely a second body for backup + having two lenses ready at any point in time
    - normal zoom : Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC "G2"
    - telezoom: Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC "G2"
    - macro/portrait: Tokina 100mm f2.8
    - fisheye: Nikkor AF 16mm f2.8D Fisheye
    - 2x SB 800 (flash)
    - 2x SC-17 (flash cable)
    - monopod (for overview shots with the fisheye)
    - cable trigger (for overview shots with the fisheye)

I'm no wedding photographer though, this is from some other people.

Theres plenty different setups - but this is two reliable zooms and two effect lenses, should be easy to get a good shoot with this if you halfway know what you're doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have owned a lot of DSL our cameras over the past 17 years, and I almost always like to buy them used. Right now D 800 cameras are $895-$950 in many places I would suggest buying that, used as a great buy. I prefer the cameras that have around eyepiece, and a 51 point AF system. That illuminates the D6 hundred series and the D750. I think at the Best Buy is a used camera that is a few years old, and I have never had one break down on me. I think I've owned 11 DSLcameras

• Like Like x 1
  4. Studio Zanetti

Studio Zanetti TPF Noob!

Nikon d750 really an excellent choice for you. It had many features which makes it the best camera for a beginner. You can capture beautiful and glorious pictures of any event with this camera.

5. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Slightly off topic, but wedding photography is really not a great endeavor for anyone calling themselves a beginner. Lots of liability and/or "bad will" can arise from a botched wedding shoot. If this concern does not apply to you then apologies for even mentioning.

Having said all that... the D750 is a fine camera that has produced countless wonderful wedding portfolios in the hands of skilled photographers. I have the D610 but would love the tilting screen of the D750. I understand that there have been 3 manufacturer's recalls for D750 shutter issues but I honestly would not let that deter me- Nikon has always made good on any issue I've had with any Nikon camera.

6. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Part of it depends on where you are located. I could use a D750 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and a flash unit to cover weddings. Although in many cases that would be what the second shooter is using.

7. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

First about the D750, I have owned it for over 3 years and it is a FANTASTIC camera!!! In my experience its bullet proof reliable, wonderful low light performance, excellent AF system, tilting screen comes in handy for low or high shots, its a gem :)
    Now regarding weddings, I am an event photographer and my D750 was my main camera for many weddings, its just really is a great fit for weddings, mainly because of the 3 features I mentioned before, the low light performance, auto focus system and tilting screen.
    From my experience I would not recommend the D8xx for weddings over the D750.
    I also own the D850, which is just amazing too in its own way, a big step up from the D750 but surprisingly the D750 is still my main body and the D850 is second body, mainly low light performance, I am not too impressed about the D8xx low light performance and low light performance is a BIG deal for event photography!!!
    You could down-sample the D8xx but that's an added step and when processing 1000+ pictures for a wedding its just adding hours more of unneeded work.
    As for what to add to the camera, 24-70mm 2.8 and preferably also 70-200mm 2.8 plus one prime maybe 50mm 1.8 for extreme low light situation.

I want to agree with "Peeb" remark about shooting weddings for beginners.
    Beginners has no place in shooting a wedding, this is not a joke, you need to know what you are doing, a person that shoots a wedding needs to know how to use his camera, then he needs to know composition.
    After you learned the basic (this can take years of practice) you need to find a mentor that will take you under his wing, a wedding has its work flow, its rhythm, only after you shot few weddings and got the feedback from your mentor and you proved to yourself you can do a whole wedding alone only then you can take the responsibility of shooting a wedding.

Also remember doing photography today is great as a second career but not as main job, market is saturated with kids who own T3 and D3200 and feel the fact they own a camera makes them ready to shoot weddings, they put an ad on kijiji and ask for nearly nothing just to be able to start working, competition is crazy and while its possible to get a job it is very hard to live off that, just my 2c