Beginner needing help PLEASE with Tv for an assignment

michellekerr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
I am a newish photographer and new to TPF but your responses to posts I have viewed seem useful so am hoping some of you can help me. I have recently purchased my first SLR - a Canon EOS 400D and loving the quality of picture it is given me. In my desire to become more skilled I am undertaking a correspondence course on 'Beginning Photography'. Am getting my head around all the new language and I finally think i understand Av. One of my tasks is to explore shutter speed and to take 3 shots of a vehicle moving with different shutter speeds. The problem is that when taking with a fast shutter 1/1000 the image is clear and correct exposure but when reducing the speed down the image becomes extremely overexposed. I know i have to compensate with Av but really don't have a clue has to what to do to ensure i capture the images to show a variety of movement but at the correct exposure. Can any of you more experienced photographers please explain how to go about this? Much appreciated from down under in New Zealand. :wink:

The beauty of the semi-auto modes like aperture- or shutter-priority is that you only have to deal with the aperture or shutter speed. The camera takes care of the other.

If you're in shutter priority mode all you should have to do is change the shutter speed from 1/1000 to 1/500 or whatever and the camera will automagically change the aperture accordingly. You don't have to compensate for anything.

It almost sounds like you are in manual mode (M) and reducing the shutter speed, but not stopping down the aperture--hence the overexposure. Or maybe you're changing exposure compensation by mistake.

Thanks for you comments guys. You are correct... I think i may have been in M mode. Will take your advice and continue to play with shutter speed and hopefully get somewhere close to the results I am wanting.:D

Most reactions

Back