beginner needs help with meter on the camera

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just recently got a D60 and I was wonder if I need to configure anything before I use it. My meter is all the way to the right, also it keeps saying my lighting to is too low. I live in a place that doesn't have great lighting so im not sure exactly what to do.

I just recently got a D60 and I was wonder if I need to configure anything before I use it. My meter is all the way to the right, also it keeps saying my lighting to is too low. I live in a place that doesn't have great lighting so im not sure exactly what to do.

I am assuming you have your lens cap off, don't laugh- it happens.

Have you tried pointing it at a brighter light source such as the sun or computer monitor? Any change?

The most permanent answer is to read your manual. Learning exactly how the light meter in your camera works is essential to photography.

And, no, you do not need to configure anything.

p!nK

Yeah the meter moves towards the middle when its brighter. However, I only take pictures of clothing indoors and at night so so it wise for me to get lighting? All I have right now are Sb600s

what mode are you using?

if your in manual metering you need to move either the shutter speed or the fstop dial so the "tick" is in the middle. If that doesn't help, change your ISO, going up in number.

I wouldn't invest in anything else until you figure out what your doing wrong.

1. What camera mode are you using? green (full auto) or one of the other modes? in green mode, the camera should adjust all the parameters so that you get the correct exposure (at least it will try to).

2. The meter pointing to the right to me, would indicate that you have an over exposure situation, that is, you have too much light.

3. The easiest way to see if you need a flash in a scene is to look in the camera to see if a flash symbol is flashing. In the green mode, the in camera flash pops up automatically.

Check your manual.

1. What camera mode are you using? green (full auto) or one of the other modes? in green mode, the camera should adjust all the parameters so that you get the correct exposure (at least it will try to).

2. The meter pointing to the right to me, would indicate that you have an over exposure situation, that is, you have too much light.

3. The easiest way to see if you need a flash in a scene is to look in the camera to see if a flash symbol is flashing. In the green mode, the in camera flash pops up automatically.

Check your manual.
The Nikon default/factory setting for the meter is to indicate underexposure to the right, with a - sign at the end of the scale.

However, it can usually be reversed using a menu setting.

I am using a D60 in manual mode. I am not sure what green auto means

Yeah the flash symbol keeps blinking and keeps telling me I need a flash.

I am using a D60 in manual mode. I am not sure what green auto means

Yeah the flash symbol keeps blinking and keeps telling me I need a flash.

Then maybe you should use flash? :er:

You could try raising the ISO, lowering shutter speed, maximizing aperture size, or using a tripod...but if it's still not bright enough you'll have to use outside lighting (a flash of some type). Just because it's an SLR doesn't mean you can take pictures of anything. They're *MUCH* more forgiving and able...but they don't use magic.

thank you for all the help guys I will take a picture and maybe you can tell me what is wrong with it.

Step 1. R.T.F.M. You will learn how to operate your camera.

Step 2. Read this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003"]book[/ame]. You will learn how Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO work together to get properly exposed photos.

Check your manual.
The Nikon default/factory setting for the meter is to indicate underexposure to the right, with a - sign at the end of the scale.

How odd. The default setting for my D90 is the "correct" interpretation with overexposure to the right. Why would they do the reverse?

Check your manual.

How odd. The default setting for my D90 is the "correct" interpretation with overexposure to the right. Why would they do the reverse?

Default on my D90 is "correct", with over to the left and under to the right. All other settings are in the configuration as well, slower shutter speeds- turn the wheel left, faster speeds, turn it right. Aperture and ISO are likewise.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back