Beginner Needs Opinions on Camera!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by crysbruce, Jan 26, 2009.

1. crysbruce

crysbruce TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi All! I am a beginner at photography- I have always thoroughly enjoyed taking pictures, but haven't gone further than it just being a hobby. I believe that this is what I am suppose to be doing so I want to take another step into it- I am looking to buy a new camera. This is my problem- Should I

a- Buy the SLR that i really want (I am thinking the Canon Rebel XS... I love the pictures it takes and the way it feels in my hands) and just practice for a while

or

b- Buy a smaller camera (like the Nikon P80 which I really enjoy also but it isn't so advanced) so I can tote it around easier (I have a one year old that I LOVE taking pictures of at random times) and I can just practice with for the next year or so and then possibly putting out more money on a SLR?

Do you have any suggestions for me? Knowing that I really have an interest for this but I also love to take random pictures at random times (usually I just throw my camera that I have now in my purse and take it out whenever needed)

Also- Do most 'professional' photographers use Photoshop? is this something I should invest in for editing? or is there something better out there?

Thanks for your help!

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sure, start with an easy question. First, welcome to the forum. Second... that depends. The big deciding factor is your budget. Can you afford to buy an SLR, and a lens or two, and then put up with the loss if you decide in six months or a year that it's really not all that much fun?

The XSi by all accounts is a good basic camera, and a DSLR will give you infinitely more flexibility and creative control than a P&S. Assuming that there are no budgetary issues, and since you already have a P&S, I would go for the SLR.
    With respect to your question on Photoshop, 99.999% of photographers use some sort of post-processing application. Photoshop is the industry standard, but it's also very expensive. I would consider either Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro, both around $100 and having all of the tools you will need until you're far more advanced in your hobby.

3. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with tiredon. I would go with an SLR, if you budget allows, just because it is such a huge leap in terms of flexibility and image quality from the P80. I was debating the same thing when I was first getting into photography, and I made the decision to wait a little while for an SLR, and have not regretted it since. The possibilities are nearly endless with an SLR, even an entry level one. If you buy a P&S and get more serious about photography, you will want an SLR very soon.

4. crysbruce

crysbruce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you both so much for your info!! What do you think are the best cameras (SLR's) for a beginner? I am trying not to spend more than $500-$600 just b/c I AM a beginner...know what I mean? and I also want to but a program, like we talked about, photoshop or something.. so that's another expense! I am so looking forward to this... but nervous and have tons of questions!

5. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop is a great program and i love using CS3 on my macbook but i do not a have a copy of photoshop for my desktop so i use a free program called the gimp which i found out about from some folks here at tfp, i really like it and it has some nice features but i just like my photoshop better for ease of use

6. crysbruce

crysbruce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have any of you bought a camera or accessories off of Adorama.com? If so, did you like their business?
    This is the kit I was thinking about getting and if i've done my research right this is an awesome deal...what do you think?
    Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR camera/ Lens Kit Black with EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, 4 GB SD Memory card, Spare LP-E5 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batter and Camera case for

$568.49

7. tgelston

tgelston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have a kid or kids only an SLR will be able to capture those faces that last 1/2 a second. I speak from experience :)

I am not a big fan of package deals - usually with a little bit of work you can mix and match for a better deal. Adorama is in general is an excellent site though.

I do see the XS on Amazon for 478 with free shipping. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CBKJGG?ie=UTF8&tag=gelstoncafeco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001CBKJGG]Amazon.com: Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black): Camera & Photo[/ame]

8. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't forget Nikon, Pentax, and Sony. The D40, K200D, and A200 are great cameras. The olympus e420 is there too; its a nice small SLR but I don't like it because it is a tiny format Four-Thirds camera. (Its not that camera itself that I don't like, but I dislike the Four-Thirds format)