Beginner Photographer ... TTL flash or Manual?

...That's obviously why I joined this forum - to learn.
And the TPF community can and will help you learn; the point being is that basic learning should be done BEFORE you hang out your shingle. These comments are not meant to be construed as 'bullying' rather as those who have some experience in the field trying to help those who are new to it. One of the issues with being very new to something is that you often don't know how much you don't know. Some here have seen these mistakes before, people who "go into business" with just a camera and lens, no insurance, no licenses, no tax paperwork... ALL of that needs to be in place BEFORE you start accepting money for services.

Ashley seems not very technical competent but I think her photographic career doesn't really depend on it.
To answer the question. In my experience TTL is only good when I don't have time to check the light level or doing test shots, when I have to get the shot with no preparation. Otherwise, manual with a meter or chimping is much better. You do have to get used to your camera LCD and compensate for how the picture will look like on your monitor or your print. But to use the flash in manual you would want a flash with many manual power levels. Some of the flash only have a couple of manual power levels and is more difficult to use.

Last edited:
Ashley, First, you're on a photo forum with many professional photographers. If you made mention of your business, it's open game to receive a response about it. No one bullied you. ALL topics are going to go off subject no matter who posts them. It's kinda what we do here.

Tirediron gave a solid answer to your question. Gotta have thick skin in here and extract the info you need from the answers. All us blow hards are opinionated. lol. You'll like this place. Give it a chance.

Look, I gave a response and totally avoided the original topic. How'd I do guys?

Most reactions

Back