beginner photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the xt and D40 are about the same size, I thought I saw an advertisement that the d40 was the smallest DSLR, but I could be wrong.

yay i got the xt yesterday...im going to go out in a bit to take pictures of a few things

i am thinking about getting this lens also
541163630.jpg

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/5...digital-cameras;cislr-lens;cilenses-for-canon

That is the lens I have. It is fine if there is a lot of light. I am already looking at the 70-200mm f/4 L lens though.

which mode do you use the most?

It really depends on the situation. I use Tv a lot because I am trying to stop motion with my dog running through the yard. I use Av mode when taking "portraits". I used 'P' mode a lot when I was learning about ISO, White Balance, AF modes, etc... I'm definitely not the person you want to ask though since I am new to photography too.

It really depends on the situation. I use Tv a lot because I am trying to stop motion with my dog running through the yard. I use Av mode when taking "portraits". I used 'P' mode a lot when I was learning about ISO, White Balance, AF modes, etc... I'm definitely not the person you want to ask though since I am new to photography too.
o ok lol...im still learning how to use it also....harder than i thought it would be.. is the Av mode used for controlling the DOF..like if i wanted to make the backgroud blurry and the subject in focus..if done a few shots with the manual focus and have gotten the background blurry..was just wondering if their was another way to do it

and i just now found out you cant use the 4000 speed with the flash on :(
its stops at 200 with the flash

and i just now found out you cant use the 4000 speed with the flash on :(
its stops at 200 with the flash

I think that is with all cameras. Not a limitation of only the Xt. And yes, Av mode is used for controling DOF. I would highly suggest this set of tutorials to help you with your camera so that you can really learn the settings:

http://www.usa.canon.com/content/rebelxt_tutorial/rebelxtlessons.htm

Also, the books that were recommended to me are :

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby

I bought those from Amazon and should be getting them in on Friday.

hmm another beginner with the XTi - we should make a club ;) - been shooting since christmas -- when I got the lens ;)

Anyway with books I have read Scott Kelby's and find that starting out it contains some good general advice, without confusing the reader with technical details - basic good place to start with.
Peterson's I have not read, but I hear it comes highly recomended.
Two more that I have heard about from others are:
Langford's Basic Photography: The guide for serious photographers
Langford's Adcanced Photography

as for my shooting, nearly all is in ap (apature priority) mode though I have done some in Tv when I want to ensure a fast shutter speed.

I think that is with all cameras. Not a limitation of only the Xt. And yes, Av mode is used for controling DOF. I would highly suggest this set of tutorials to help you with your camera so that you can really learn the settings:

http://www.usa.canon.com/content/rebelxt_tutorial/rebelxtlessons.htm

Also, the books that were recommended to me are :

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby

I bought those from Amazon and should be getting them in on Friday.
thanks

hmm another beginner with the XTi - we should make a club ;) - been shooting since christmas -- when I got the lens ;)

Anyway with books I have read Scott Kelby's and find that starting out it contains some good general advice, without confusing the reader with technical details - basic good place to start with.
Peterson's I have not read, but I hear it comes highly recomended.
Two more that I have heard about from others are:
Langford's Basic Photography: The guide for serious photographers
Langford's Adcanced Photography

as for my shooting, nearly all is in ap (apature priority) mode though I have done some in Tv when I want to ensure a fast shutter speed.
post some of your pics

hehe - follow the link in my sig to my blog. The later entries should load at a reasonable speed - the earlier ones will be slower - because I used larger shots - I am sloooowly getting round to editing them all -- just that darn compiler they use that throws all the text into different fonts at times.
The earlier shots are my first - after that there are one or two threads of mine in the nature section of this site

Here is a shot I took with my Xt and the 300mm lens that you are thinking about getting (my first time out with the camera):

IMG_0991_1.jpg

so i am going to do my first shoot today with some local music artist/friends. any tips or advice?...its going to be outside..fairly sunny...im thinking of just using the program mode to control the metering, the lighting settings, and using the manual focus....its a free shoot just to get some experience and pratice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back