Beginner stepping up from point-and-shoot: Samsung NX2000 a good choice?

LoafofDread

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am still very new to photography. I have read and understand the basics from a theoretical standpoint, but have pretty much zero practical experience. My current camera is an old Nikon point-and-shoot I got years ago and I am ready to step up from it. I'm on a budget (somewhere around the $200-400 range) and after doing a decent amount of research I have landed on the Samsung NX2000. What I'm looking to get out of it is something to learn how to actually apply different settings without getting overwhelmed like I feel I would jumping straight into a DSLR. Usually when I take pictures I'll just go somewhere and shoot whatever catches my eye, but I do like to focus on vegetation and architecture.

Would the NX2000 be a good choice for this? Most of the reviews I've read have been very positive and suggest it's a great camera for the price. I figure I can either get a whole starting kit with accessories or just the camera and another lens and stay within my budget.

I'll be honest - if you want to take control and your long term goal is aiming toward a DSLR - GET the DSLR.

Even the most advanced still has a standard "green box" full automatic mode (the entry level had 5 or so scenic auto modes as well). You'll find that a DSLR is a lot easier to learn the controls with because its built to use them from the ground up. So it will be easier, quicker and simpler to learn with.

In my own case I went from owning no camera ever (shot a handful of shots on point and shoots but never keen and never anything beyond snapshots) to owning a DSLR. By reading the manual - a few good books* and interacting with forums and photographers I was very quickly able to get control - push forward and develop. So it most certainly can be done.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
The Digital Photography Book - volumes 1 to 4 by Scot Kelby

Both titles very strongly recommended by many when starting out.

Ok, well as much as I hate to agree with Overread - and believe me, I really hate agreeing with Overread on anything.. lol...

But I think he's right on the money on this one. A true DSLR is going to give you a lot more options, and it will still have the preset modes you need when you get started. Given your budget you might want to look at a Nikon D3100 - you can get refurbished models with a kit lens in that price range.

Get a DSLR, a Nikon D3200 might be close to your price range.

Thanks everyone. I looked around and ended up getting a D3200 package with 2 lenses and a bag for it. I was willing to go above my budget since I figure I won't be upgrading again for a very long time, if ever. Really excited for when it arrives.

Thanks everyone. I looked around and ended up getting a D3200 package with 2 lenses and a bag for it. I was willing to go above my budget since I figure I won't be upgrading again for a very long time, if ever. Really excited for when it arrives.

You should be very happy with the D3200 - it's a great camera and should last you for years to come. Looking forward to seeing some pictures after it arrives :)

Most reactions

Back