Advice needed for first DSLR.

clc08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking at a Nikon D5500 that comes with an 18-55mm lens, I would also add a 55-300zoom.

I am comparing it to a Sony A6000, with a 16-50 lens and a comparable zoom. I'm stuck. Is one significantly better than the other?

They both have WiFi. I have spoken with 2 people. One was a professional photographer and also works part time at a place that sells cameras. The other person is an avid photographer, and he mentioned the Nikon model.

This would be my first DSLR. I would happily consider other models you suggest. Any advice appreciated...

Last edited:
The 5500 is a good starter camera. I think the better lens choice is the 70 300 4.5 5.6

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for reply. As a starter camera, would you have recommended a different one? Also, the lens you linked to...are you referring to the one that is $495 or so? Big learning curve for newbie.

No and Yes, in that order. :)
I'd recommend the best camera you can afford for a starter camera just because you can afford it and it will give you better results and last longer as you progress into new areas and new techniques. Better cameras will have more options as you learn to use more options you won't outgrow it as quickly.
If you can afford the D5 without any trouble, it will be there for you giving quality results for many years as tech advances on the lower end cameras.
If a camera seems too expensive for you to buy, it is.

With the Sony e-mount (at the moment) you will be limited with longer focal length lenses.
The APS-C e-mount is aimed to the light traveler (IMO) ... though the system is good for wide/mid focal length stuff.
If you got lots of cash then e-mount is pretty good ... though if you had lots of cash you would be asking about different cameras than you suggested.

I am looking at a Nikon D5500 that comes with an 18-55mm lens, I would also add a 55-300zoom.

I am comparing it to a Sony A6000, with a 16-50 lens and a comparable zoom. I'm stuck. Is one significantly better than the other?

They both have WiFi. I have spoken with 2 people. One was a professional photographer and also works part time at a place that sells cameras. The other person is an avid photographer, and he mentioned the Nikon model.

This would be my first DSLR. I would happily consider other models you suggest. Any advice appreciated...

The 5500 is a good starter camera. I think the better lens choice is the 70 300 4.5 5.6

Thanks for reply. As a starter camera, would you have recommended a different one? Also, the lens you linked to...are you referring to the one that is $495 or so? Big learning curve for newbie.

No and Yes, in that order. :)
I'd recommend the best camera you can afford for a starter camera just because you can afford it and it will give you better results and last longer as you progress into new areas and new techniques. Better cameras will have more options as you learn to use more options you won't outgrow it as quickly.
If you can afford the D5 without any trouble, it will be there for you giving quality results for many years as tech advances on the lower end cameras.
If a camera seems too expensive for you to buy, it is.

With the Sony e-mount (at the moment) you will be limited with longer focal length lenses.
The APS-C e-mount is aimed to the light traveler (IMO) ... though the system is good for wide/mid focal length stuff.
If you got lots of cash then e-mount is pretty good ... though if you had lots of cash you would be asking about different cameras than you suggested.

Advanced Photo, financially, I can manage the 5500. Not sure I want to go to the 55-300, will need to see the difference in price or that and the 55-300 I purchased. Do you think I need that much zoom to be a happy camper???? Dxqcanada is correct...if I had lots of cash I would be looking higher up the ladder. But, I'm a newbie, and just looking for something decdent. My husband had his sights set on the Sony. I think he liked the size. Salesman finally said, if he were me, he'd go with the Nikon. I'm an R.N. and wish I had more knowledge base, but it is what it is. I just don't want to make a horrible purchase/mistake and have huge regrets down the road. I think the salesman said I would be limited in lens selection for the Sony. I know I am asking fundamentally ignorant questions, but I have real worries about this purchase. So far, the 5500, lens, accessories are sitting in the boxes, untouched. Returning them and purchasing something else would not be problematic....... Thanks. I guess most of you were once newbies. I hate newbie.

I feel the Sony and the Nikon are pretty much in the same ballpark.

Is there a concrete problem you hope to solve by changing horses?

Last edited:
I have a Sony SLT (DSLR) and also a Sony NEX.
The NEX is great for when I am casually traveling and want a pocket camera with high IQ. For my primary shooting (of wildlife) I go with the SLT(DSLR) because of the lenses I can get for it.
... so it depends on what you want to shoot ... landscape, portraits would be OK for the A6000 ... wildlife, not so good.

... and the Sony FE 70-300mm is about U$1200 ... there currently is no other x-300mm lens for e-mount.

I would recommend the Nikon D5500, excellent camera and by buying Nikon you get access to Nikons vast lens selection while Sony's lens selection is poor comparing to Nikon.
Also just a point to remember Nikon D5500 is Nikon's current model while the Sony A6000 was replaced by the Sony A6300 which was replaced by the Sony A6500 so the A6000 is already a third generation behind even though it is still a good camera.

I hate to be called "marquesist" but when I was considering the purchase of a DSLR a few years ago, I took an objective look at the Sony brand, and realized that Sony has a habit of making sure that only certain things work together, and not for very long, either, until they decide to discontinue a model, and introduce something completely different.

I bought my first DLSR as a Nikon D5000 (the same basic body style as the D5500). I absolutely loved it!

One thing to consider is that the entry-level Nikons (D3xxx and D5xxx) do not have a focusing motor in the body, so they rely on the AF-S lenses for auto focusing. Other than that, go for the Nikon D5500.

I feel the Sony and the Nikon are pretty much in the same ballpark.

Is there a concrete problem you hope to solve by changing horses?

As camera bodies, perhaps. As camera systems, no. The Nikon is a much better all around system with a lot more choice of lenses, particularly a much bigger used lens market which can save you a ton of money and give you a whole lot more options.

So for the op, unless you absolutely need the portability of the Sony, the Nikon is clearly a much better choice, particularly for a beginner. That way your not limiting your options further on down the road.

I'd recommend you start with the Nikon and the kit lens, then shoot for a while with that. Decide from there what sort of lenses you'd like to add based on what you shoot.

If you feel you need longer reach telephoto, I'd avoid the 55-300 lens, and go for either the 70-300mm Nikkor with VR or the 70-300mm Tamron with VC. There are a variety of 70-300mm lenses out there, however I'd recommend you stick with either the Nikkor with VR or the Tamron with VC. They are both outstanding, very sharp lenses. I've shot both, of the two I actually prefered the Tamron. You can usually get one used for around $200 or so.

robbins.photo ... I still try to old fashioned wise ask beginners to use one prime to learn, no zoom. Crop and perspective shall be two things in the mind of every photographer.

In the cases of the Nikon this would be the 1.8/35G DX. As the 18-55 is halfways a free gift that comes with the camera, the op might leave it in the cupboard for later reference.

I am a Nikon guy. I do not connect to the Sony interface. Yet Sony has some very (very very) nice optics for the E-mount. If the op copes with the interface, why not stick with the brand?

And if it shall be a Nikon I can only say that a new body is not always the best option. The D600 can be had for 700 Euros nearly unused...

DSLR is much better because if Optical viewfinder, battery life and (sometimes) autofocus. Also, consider that DSLR is "always on", at least I never switch my off. When put to your eye, press the shutter, get the shot. You'll see darkness in viewfinder of Sony a6000 in this case.
Sony a6000 perhaps would be more quite when trigger the shutter.
If choosing between this two, I'll go for DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back