Beginner :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by j3ffff, Oct 11, 2005.

1. j3ffff

j3ffff TPF Noob!

Hi everyone!

My name is Jeff and I am 19 years old. I recently just got into photography and I don't know much about camera's and such. I was wondering, what is a good beginner camera for me to mess around with and still be able to take decent pictures. The price doesn't really matter, but I don't want to get something that is top of the line because I am still fairly new at this. Also, should I get a digital camera or one that uses film. Thanks!

-Jeff :wink:

2. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like film. I learned all I know from different pages I found on the net and from a few books I checked out from the school libarary. (might explain how my pictures turn out LOL). Give 'er a chance with film. Good luck.

3. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get digital because you can take loads of shots and it won't matter if only 10% work out! :lol:

Get film because it's "real" photography (ducks! :sexywink: ) and you'll concentrate more on getting the shot right rather than pay to process a whole film of tat!:lol:

4. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    I think thats a valid point about film making you slow down and concentrate more on getting the shot right.

I started on a cheap used SLR film camera and thats where I still am now. After a year and a half I am looking seriously at a digital SLR but either way you go look for something that can be used in a totally manual mode. This will allow you to learn the benefits and drawbacks of different shutter speeds and aperatures. Also with film you will learn firsthand about different film speeds.

There are others here with a LOT more experience than I have but I was where you are at 2 years ago and have picked up a whole lot by using an old film camera that I will be able to carry forward to a Digital SLR when the time comes. I honestly expect that when it is all said and done I will be back on film someday, but for now where I am with my learning I think its time for a digital.

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can get a good, used 35mm film SLR for under $100, and then save up for a DSLR.

6. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would decide on a SLR system to go with. Nikon and Canon are the most popular but the others are perfectly good as well. I would look into either Nikon or Canon as they have the most selection of lenses available and after market accessories.

When you buy a SLR camera, film or digital, you are buying a system. The least expensive part is the camera body it'self. You'll put much more into the various lenses so look for compatablity.

Not being as familiar with Canon I would suggest something like a Nikon D70s or even a D50 if you want to go digital. If you want to start with film look for a F100 or even a F3 or F4. You can find good deals on them new and used and they are built like a tank.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest the equivilents in Canon.

I prefer film and a good scanner but digital has a lot going for it as well.

7. j3ffff

j3ffff TPF Noob!

Thanks a lot guys. Right now I am thinking about getting a used SLR, but I still don't know if I should get a digital or a film...

8. FuddyDuddy

FuddyDuddy TPF Noob!

Hello,

What sort of pictures do you want to take? A 35mm SLR may not be the way to go. For example. if you want to do something like street photography it might be worth looking at a rangefinder. Or if yo want to do something like formal portraiture, medium format might be better.

The 35mm SLR teamaker is not your only option!

Good luck whatever you decide,

F. Duddy

9. j3ffff

j3ffff TPF Noob!

I just want to get a feel for taking pictures and something to mess around with. What others would you recommend FuddyDuddy?

10. damian5000

damian5000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I recommend digital... Digital is instantly correctable, instantly printable from your PC, and you can mess around and experiment a whole lot more with different shutter speeds/apertures/ISO's and see your results right away. The big question is how much money do you want to spend... $200 or $2000? From $200-600 you won't see a big difference in quality of the shot, but you will be getting more features (burst shooting/bracket shooting/Image stabilization/Zoom/Better Auto-Focus assist/More powerful flash/higher MP etc...) And are you planning on printing big? You'll want higher MP (5mp or better if you might be printing BIGGER than 8"x10" and want really good results). If you want to spend in the $750+ range look at the DSLR's.

if you didn't notice... My vote is for digital..

- Damian

11. j3ffff

j3ffff TPF Noob!

My budget is $500. I am not really focused on printing anything, just taking pictures and seeing what I can do on Photoshop. I want to do this as a hobby whenever I have spare time, so I don't want to spend a great deal of money. Thanks for all the input guys!

12. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like you answered your own question. If you wanna do Photoshop, go with digital. Otherwise you'll have to get your film processed (unless you want to try B&W on your own) then scan the slides.

Film is a bit harder for me because I always forget to take notes on how I did what I did. One of these days...