beginnerneeds help to choose a camera for hiking.

jay590

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi i am interested in gettin a digital SLR camera in a few months for hiking and gerneral. i already have a point and shoot olpmyus 790sw. i want it fr taking photos of wildlife and landscape. i also want it to be reasonably light and i no it wont be nearly as light at my olympus.
what camera and lenses do you recommend? i was thinking about the olympus E-410 but i dont know anything about cameras so all help will be apreciated.

Jay

I do occasional long distance hikes with 6-7 kg of camera equipment (full frame camera, 300mm tele, ultra wide angle zoom, standard zoom, 50mm prime for low light, filters, batteries, tripod, heavy pano head).
That is a pain though ;)

For some years I also was hiking with two primes only ( one wide angle and one 50-ish lens ). not too bad as a combination and pretty lightweight. This solution only lacks a tele lens for wildlife.

I also tried just taking one 24-70 standard zoom. not too bad either, just somewhat heavier than the solution with two primes.

With a large full backpack, it can be complicated to find a solution how to carry all your photo gear as you do not want to take down your 28kg backpack for each single shot you take.

BTW, this is how it looks like when I do complete packing:

packing.jpg

Olympus makes a nice camera...you might want to look at Pentax too (metal chassis and seals are handy outside). I usually just carry my camera around my neck when I'm hiking so it is ready to go and carry a small camera bag in my pack for storage (bring some ziplocs to keep the camera in in case of rain - or having to cross a river on a moss covered 2.5 ft wide log, like I did in Ecuador). You can wrap even big lenses in a garbage bag and t-shirt and just stuff 'em in your pack, if you like to live dangerously.

I would recommend a standard zoom with the fastest glass you can afford. If you need to get closer, you can learn to sneak up on stuff in the woods. That can be kinda hard if you are as decked out as Alex. I carry a way smaller pack (not even a frame) and have been known to stay out overnight with that pack, a bedroll, and a couple big ponchos. Who needs fancy gear when you can make it yourself? In other words, if you can cut a bunch of weight in comforts to make room for heavy camera equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back