Beginners and Experts - What have you learned while on this forum ??

I've learned that writing a series of articles takes considerable effort.

I've also learned that I can expect little or no feedback. Actually, I knew this before most of you were even born when I was an evening DJ on my own jazz music radio show - station WNTC, Potsdam, NY.

I've learned that writing a series of articles takes considerable effort.

I've also learned that I can expect little or no feedback. Actually, I knew this before most of you were even born when I was an evening DJ on my own jazz music radio show - station WNTC, Potsdam, NY.

That's interesting .. I also had a 'very' late night Jazz Anthology radio spot on a Hawaiian radio station just after getting out of the Army.. 1 1/2 hours of great jazz, and jazz history.. Nam was an experience of extremes - I was a LRRP Ranger and my work consisted of periods of total silence, broken up with sounds as loud as anyone can imagine - I just thought that working with the music that I loved would help temper my senseabilities a little .. seemed to work some.. :D

Just kinna fun to know there's someone else here that shares my love of Jazz - as well as photography....

cheers...:thumbup:

I learned that if you unpack the camera you just got and it spits parts out at you, don't panic. Go to the forums.

Then I learned how to reinstall a focus screen that had dislodged during shipping.

I worked as an engineer at a jazz station in Omaha,Ne in the early '80's.

So as not to hijack the thread....

I have learned to be more critical of my own work and not take myself too seriously.

^:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've learned that way too many parents listened to the likes of Dr. Spock and coddled the heck out of thier kids... positively reinforcing everything they did, even if it was crap. Now the result is adults with skin that is way too thin. People post a photo that is bad, and ask for C&C... when it gets ripped apart, they cry instead of taking it as a learning experience.

I've learned that you can't please all of the people, all of the time. :er:

I learned that if you unpack the camera you just got and it spits parts out at you, don't panic. Go to the forums.

Then I learned how to reinstall a focus screen that had dislodged during shipping.

That's funny ... .. .. OK, no it's not.. .. ok, yes it is.. proof there's tons of info here.. ! :mrgreen: Glad it worked out...

r

That's funny ... .. .. OK, no it's not.. .. ok, yes it is.. proof there's tons of info here.. ! :mrgreen: Glad it worked out...

r

It's one of those that will be funnier once I know what I'm doing.

On the lighter side…

- The only way to truly learn photography is to learn with a film camera first.
- A film camera can do anything a digital camera can do.
- Noobs are looked down upon for giving short positive C&C with disclaimers that they are in fact noobs.
- Seasoned photogs are chastised for giving primarily negative C&C accept by other seasoned photogs.
- Nearly 90% of all natural looking HDR images presented could have looked just as good or better with non HDR methods.
- Don't goof up the item you are searching or you will have to wait 30 seconds before you can try again.
- The word professional means you get paid.
- The word semi-professional is seldom used to describe photographers even though that is plainly what many of us could be categorized as.
- It's not the camera that makes the image it you the photographer.
- If you are a professional photographer... you at some point will forget the above mentioned statement and buy a far more superior and expensive piece of equipment. This will be be done in order to let your new and improved camera "not be the one making the image."

But seriously…

- Using fellow forum users to help you pick your next lens can be very rewarding. (Thanks guys and gals)
- Back focus option.
- How to clean sensors, focus lens, lens.
- I am more mellow then I once thought, and more mellow then many of my peers.
- There are a lot of good people here, and we are really no different then your average everyday dysfunctional family. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Self realization…

- Natural light is the first light one should master in photography. It stresses your ability to more easily be aware of it's existence and how to use that existence when you have to work around it rather then command it.

On the lighter side…

- The only way to truly learn photography is to learn with a film camera first.
- A film camera can do anything a digital camera can do.
- Noobs are looked down upon for giving short positive C&C with disclaimers that they are in fact noobs.
- Seasoned photogs are chastised for giving primarily negative C&C accept by other seasoned photogs.
- Nearly 90% of all natural looking HDR images presented could have looked just as good or better with non HDR methods.
- Don't goof up the item you are searching or you will have to wait 30 seconds before you can try again.
- The word professional means you get paid.
- The word semi-professional is seldom used to describe photographers even though that is plainly what many of us could be categorized as.
- It's not the camera that makes the image it you the photographer.
- If you are a professional photographer... you at some point will forget the above mentioned statement and buy a far more superior and expensive piece of equipment. This will be be done in order to let your new and improved camera "not be the one making the image."

But seriously…

- Using fellow forum users to help you pick your next lens can be very rewarding. (Thanks guys and gals)
- Back focus option.
- How to clean sensors, focus lens, lens.
- I am more mellow then I once thought, and more mellow then many of my peers.
- There are a lot of good people here, and we are really no different then your average everyday dysfunctional family. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Self realization…

- Natural light is the first light one should master in photography. It stresses your ability to more easily be aware of it's existence and how to use that existence when you have to work around it rather then command it.

A very true statement re learning on a film camera. You had to get it pretty right to start with, way too expensive to just shoot away!
And really, to some point, it was/is more fun with film. I used to develop my own slides in the 80's, how fun was that, going through the process of loading the film on the reel, then putting it in the drum, add the chemicals, go through the processing and then seeing the result....but hey, I do enjoy digital, I wished, thinking back now, that I had some of todays technology in the 80's :D

Good for you! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back