Beginners: Do Not Buy The D40/D40x

bought a D40 originally because i didn't know if i'd catch the bug or be any good. upgraded to a D90 after a bit. i'm not at all concerned that i bought the D40 first and it's now likely to sit most of the time. if i had to do it again i'd do the same thing.

So you bought a D40, and then you were annoyed that your lenses didn't auto focus?

Sounds to me like someone didn't do their research and you're trying to blame it on Nikon.

I can agree that when buying a camera model we should consider that lenses are an issue. I would recommend going to review website such as dpreview.com and see if the results of such camera and lenses work well with what you want to focus on.

whoa . my friends last name is "mojica" and shes got a d40 . lolz

(wthellbumpthread)

Thanks, this thread has been helpful. I think the D40 is the right camera for me, for now.

You get points for using the search button but I think you lose half of them for bumping an ancient thread.

i bought a d60, sold it for the same price i paid for it a year after. okthxbye

While I understand what you are saying, I would have thought that most people looking to buy a DSLR will do a large amount of research before they spend their hard earned cash, (I know that I did before I brought my camera.)
This is the sort of thing that I would look at before buying it and I am sure a lot of other people would as well. I feel that you are portraying a very negative view of a very good budget DSLR. All the reviews that I have read have explained this in very basic terms so that it is clear that not all lenses work with the D40/D40x. I feel that you will be putting a lot of people off it when in actual fact it will be ideal for them as they are looking at getting something that produces excellent pictures and will quite possibly only want 1 or 2 lenses.
The other thing that you have failed to point out is the fact that all of the lenses can be used as manual focus lenses with the D40/D40x so you haven't quite portrayed the entire picture.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

Dave-- I didn't do any research.. I was looking for a good camera.. The dude told me the 7D was good.. so I bought it..

I guess I just got lucky.. but it sure it a lot of camera for me.. But I do intend to learn how to use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back