Beginners Gallery or Sub-Gallery

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Dioboleque, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless there is one I somehow missed, I want to make the suggestion for a Beginners Gallery or Sub-Gallery where those viewing it will know what quality to expect when viewing as well as the types of critiques which generally will be needed, and the posters can post free of the fear of being called out for posting something less than art. :sillysmi:

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I understand the fears of new people when posting photos into places where there seems to be such a high level of quality I really do. But my personal opinion is thus:
    The jusfication of this is a side step away from the real problem of people fearing being called inadiquate by others. A fear of being labled a failure and not being helped. I don't think moving the newer people to another area is the right move at all - better is dealing with these cases where they feel that they are being treated unfairly - that I think is a better move and is dealing with the problem at hand.

Further, at what level is a beginner not a beginner anymore - I might count myself as one till I have been at it for years, or unless I have a degree in photography. Its is a little too hazy and I think in the end it would end up as a general photography section with many people simply not leaving

3. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I'm on the fence on this one. I agree with what Dioboleque is suggesting, but I understand your point Overread. If there was a beginner gallery, I personally would be more inclined to post what I feel are beginner photos.

4. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The point imo was to give beginners somewhere they could feel comfortable and save those more experienced who don't wish to interact with those on the lowest level from having to unless they absolutely want to, thus solving the problem on both ends. But, I've been wrong before... :sillysmi:

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree about that part, but I feel that first beginners should be made welcome in the existing subections of they may never leave the beginners section (meaning lots of new threads and thus more chance of people getting pushed down and onto second page quickly)
    I would say clear up the problem with negative atitudes towards new photographers and then give the beginners their own section

6. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I support the suggestion.

7. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :sillysmi:

8. Kawi_T

Kawi_T TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

" ... those more experienced who don't wish to interact with those on the lowest level ... "

Wow! What a statement! You mean to say experienced photographers wont interact with me because I'm inexperienced? I don't even know how to take this. Talk about the shallowest of the shallow. And how did the experienced photographer gain any experience to begin with? At one point even the experienced were noobs, back then did anyone help them learn? Maybe they were forced to learn on their own because no one would interact with them.

I feel there is no need for a beginners section.
    Tom

9. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, kinda harsh, isn't it? I'm glad to hear u haven't witnessed any of that sort of behavior in your time here and hope that u never do! :sillysmi:

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All the galleries are beginner's galleries. Many posters have not given a serious photographic comment beyond: "I like it." or "great shot" several hundred times. No experienced photographer would take this kind of response seriously at all.

It is rather ridiculous, when in answer to a request for C. & C., a serious photographic critique is given and the result is the characterization of harshness or instant insult and bruised ego.

The expectation that experienced photographers should act like moms giving gentle, diplomatic, encouragement suggests that we are dealing with adolescents that have never grown up. MAYBE WE ARE.

skieur

11. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My reason behind this suggestion is not to save beginners from serious photographic critique, but rather give them a chance to receive serious photographic critique from those willing to help people just starting out who are going to make what others would consider obvious mistakes. A gallery of lowered expectations if u will, where those viewing and commenting are well aware of the skill level and are willing to politely offer the criticism and tips needed to improve, where less skilled can feel free to post their work and be confidant that their posts will received constructive comments rather than being totally ignored, or commented on that the subject matter is too boring to bother critiquing it technically or that it's just a snapshot. The goal is to connect the beginners with those more experienced who are interested in helping them without unnecessarily degrading or insulting them. Beginners are looking for guidance and I'm sure there are those here who would guide, not MOM like guidance, but rather Teacher like guidance... factual and honest without being insulting and rude. :sillysmi:

12. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see that the words '& Photo Gallery' have been added to The Beginners Place so I guess this is no longer an issue. :sillysmi: