Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

Eddie666

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Afternoon/Morning all.

I have just been on hols with my Nikkon D40X and tried some macro pics and some landscape pics. I'll put some up when I get the time.

Anyway, I am going to a wedding in June and not had much practice with portrait/wedding photos. Is there anyone that can give me some advice on how to get the best pictures at this wedding and portrait pics etc. I have a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens and the tripod. Will I need any extra gear for good pics? If so, could you suggest some bareing in mind, not got the most amounts of money to spend on it :)

Thanks in advance!

Craig

VERY important to make sure you have enough memory. I always take a TON of photos at weddings and use an 8gb card. I carry another 2gb for backup. Also, BATTERIES!! Bring extra batteries for both your camera and your flash. Very important. For ceremonies I often use my 200mm lens (to get close up and not be intrusive) and find it beneficial when using that heavy lens to use a tripod for crisp focus. But, that's the only reason I'd use a tripod at a wedding. It's also comforting to have an extra camera body, but only if that's in your budget. I only have one camera myself but always bring an assistant and can find comfort in knowing that if something happened to one of them, we'd always have one more.

visual is right. Take spares/backups for everything! And make sure the spare batteries are freshly charged too!

VERY important to make sure you have enough memory. I always take a TON of photos at weddings and use an 8gb card. I carry another 2gb for backup. Also, BATTERIES!! Bring extra batteries for both your camera and your flash. Very important. For ceremonies I often use my 200mm lens (to get close up and not be intrusive) and find it beneficial when using that heavy lens to use a tripod for crisp focus. But, that's the only reason I'd use a tripod at a wedding. It's also comforting to have an extra camera body, but only if that's in your budget. I only have one camera myself but always bring an assistant and can find comfort in knowing that if something happened to one of them, we'd always have one more.

Thanks for this, So I can use both my lenses for different effects? However, with the 200mm use a tripod. With the 18-55mm lens, what would be the best flash to use that isn't too expensive? I have enough memory and the D40X is brilliant with batteries so should be fine there as it is only a small wedding :)

Thanks

make a list of pics that need to be taken

am i having deja vu here and was this thread posted before but all the other answers are gone or am i going mad

Most reactions

Back