Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

Eddie666

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Afternoon/Morning all.

I have just been on hols with my Nikkon D40X and tried some macro pics and some landscape pics. I'll put some up when I get the time.

Anyway, I am going to a wedding in June and not had much practice with portrait/wedding photos. Is there anyone that can give me some advice on how to get the best pictures at this wedding and portrait pics etc. I have a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens and the tripod. Will I need any extra gear for good pics? If so, could you suggest some bareing in mind, not got the most amounts of money to spend on it :)

Thanks in advance!

Craig

I'd recommend a nice 'fast' lens. The 50mm F1.8 is pretty affordable.

A lens with a large maximum aperture (low F number) will allow you to use a faster shutter speed, which can help to ensure sharp shots. Also, a large aperture will give you a shallow DOF, which can blur out the background of a portrait.

What does I could only see 35mm here mean?

Sorry, you said the 50mm flash would be good to have, I looked at your link you put and they all say 35mm next to them? sorry if I'm being stupid :D

50mm lens and a flash are two different items.....

I have the 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm so I'm guessing the 18-55mm will do?

Anyone recommend a good cheap flash for these photos?

i believe that asfixiate was saying a 50mm lens is great to have, but in addition you should get an external flash and he gave you the links for some good flashes at B&H.

I'll take a look at the flashes now and reviews :) Will my 18-55mm lens be ok to use?

Anyway, I am going to a wedding in June and not had much practice with portrait/wedding photos. Is there anyone that can give me some advice on how to get the best pictures at this wedding and portrait pics etc.

Hi Eddie,

why do I get the impression you are not the official wedding photographer, but are planning to be one on that wedding anyway?
If so, I'm guessing the B&G and the official tog won't be too happy! Maybe you better don your tux and leave the rest of your gear at home, on that occassion.

Have fun!

Most reactions

Back