Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

Becuase there is more than one topic (wedding photography), to discuss?

But the better question you should be asking is... why limit yourself to just one place for information? And why ask it in but one post and wait for someone to answer?

Becuase there is more than one topic (wedding photography), to discuss?

But the better question you should be asking is... why limit yourself to just one place for information? And why ask it in but one post and wait for someone to answer?

Huh?... Jerry please answer....

Should the beginner forum continue to exist other than being an archive? If yes... why?

It should continue. I've done searches that haven't produced any results, and I've only been here a few days.

But go to any photography forum and search for "Depth of field", "Aperture" or even "Wedding Photography" and you're bound to find lots of results.

A very good reason to search instead of start a new thread:

Take a look at the filters and RAW vs. JPEG discussions and you'll see how heated some of the discussions get. Why dredge that back up when a simple search will reveal that there are opposing schools of thought on those questions?

Look, I don't personally care if someone wants to start a new thread instead of doing a search, but people who've been here a long time probably roll their eyes when they see a re-post of a discussion that's been discussed to the point of beating a dead horse in the past. Especially if it's "digital vs. film", "filters for protection" or "RAW vs JPEG".

It should continue. I've done searches that haven't produced any results, and I've only been here a few days.

But go to any photography forum and search for "Depth of field", "Aperture" or even "Wedding Photography" and you're bound to find lots of results.

A very good reason to search instead of start a new thread:

Take a look at the filters and RAW vs. JPEG discussions and you'll see how heated some of the discussions get. Why dredge that back up when a simple search will reveal that there are opposing schools of thought on those questions?

Look, I don't personally care if someone wants to start a new thread instead of doing a search, but people who've been here a long time probably roll their eyes when they see a re-post of a discussion that's been discussed to the point of beating a dead horse in the past. Especially if it's "digital vs. film", "filters for protection" or "RAW vs JPEG".
Hello? isn`t this a BEGINNERS forum?

I understand your point... but there is no obligation by any senior member to contribute to a thread that has already been discussed. Often I see posts like you mention and provide an answer, if I don't feel like contributing that day I simply don't respond. It's no big deal. There are senior people here like Big Mike or Mav who take the time answer these often repeated questions. If you have nothing technical to contribute besides "google it", and you are annoyed by the subject it is not very helpful to the OP.

Nobody is obligated to answer.

I understand your point... but there is no obligation by any senior member to contribute to a thread that has already been discussed.

Maybe not, but there does seem to be a standing consensus in the majority of the discussion forums I've been to over the years that if there's a search function, it should be used in lieu of starting a new thread. It's not just here, it's the majority of discussion forums on the web... at least the ones I've frequented.

Maybe not, but there does seem to be a standing consensus in the majority of the discussion forums I've been to over the years that if there's a search function, it should be used in lieu of starting a new thread. It's not just here, it's the majority of discussion forums on the web... at least the ones I've frequented.

This observation is generally true..... except in this "the beginners" forum. As I've already mentioned, ANYTHING beginner related can be found by way of google search. If all beginners used search there would be no reason for the beginners forum to exist. We could simply have a large FAQ like most other forums. This is the spot to keep beginners from annoying seniors by posting silly questions in the "beyond the basics" forum. It generally works very well.

It only doesn't work well when seniors are bored with the "beyond the basics" forum and come over here to shred noobs for asking beginner questions.

I certainly prefer it when a noob searches a raw vs jpeg instead of starting a new thread, but I don't get all pissy about it when I see it happen every week. I either participate or skip the thread. You will never have anything close to perfection in the beginners forum, it is the nature of the beast.

However, these lax rules don't apply to the rest of the forums on this site.

I agree with you that regulars don't need to bash on n00bs for asking n00b questions, but I do understand why some do it.

I also own a forum myself for 5 years (non-photography). From experience, you cannot stop members from asking same questions again and again. And that is the fact. Just like SPAM. It will happen. Can't be stop unless you are in a closed forum.

There are a lot of people use search function I sure, but some do not. And usually those who ask questions (without search) are new to the forum (usually truth). And I strongly believe that once nobody asking the same questions again and again, the forum is not so good anymore. (my forum has ups and downs)

By no mean I against people asking questions. In my forum, when someone ask a questions that had been answer before and if I had time, I will search it myself and post the link back in the same thread. (and show them I search "xyz" for the result.

Anyway, back to the OP questions again. I think you may want to take more indoor photos now and see how they looks like with your current setup. If you are not satisfy, getting a fast lens such as 50mm f1.8 will be a good choice.

Sorry, didn't mean to set up an argument between you all. I'll just go and ask all beginners they can't ask questions and that they should search for everything on the forum.

the 50mm f1.8 seems to be popping up a lot so I'll look into that, thanks. I'll go and ask in Jessops which flash they would recommend.

As I have already said. I am not the official photographer, I am taking my camera for the FUN side of it as I am enjoying it as a hobby. I have got pretty good with landscapes etc (Good as in, I'm pleased with the outcome, no doubt they could be better but they are pretty good:)) And I was just asking some advice about getting involved and learning about portrait pics as I haven't done them very much yet. Thanks dEARlEADER, Wallyir and all those that answered the Q for me :)

Sorry, didn't mean to set up an argument between you all. I'll just go and ask all beginners they can't ask questions and that they should search for everything on the forum.

the 50mm f1.8 seems to be popping up a lot so I'll look into that, thanks. I'll go and ask in Jessops which flash they would recommend.

As I have already said. I am not the official photographer, I am taking my camera for the FUN side of it as I am enjoying it as a hobby. I have got pretty good with landscapes etc (Good as in, I'm pleased with the outcome, no doubt they could be better but they are pretty good:)) And I was just asking some advice about getting involved and learning about portrait pics as I haven't done them very much yet. Thanks dEARlEADER, Wallyir and all those that answered the Q for me :)
Dont be discouraged,It`s ok to be new to something, it`s ok to ask questions,it is NOT ok to deride someone because they do,I`m thinking of getting a Moderator in on this.Newbies don`t need some of the rubbish we`ve just copped, in fact we don`t need it at all.

Dont be discouraged,It`s ok to be new to something, it`s ok to ask questions,it is NOT ok to deride someone because they do,I`m thinking of getting a Moderator in on this.Newbies don`t need some of the rubbish we`ve just copped, in fact we don`t need it at all.

For what it's worth, Jerry has been offering his opinion and advice very good-naturedly. In fact, he seems to be the brunt of most of the attacks in this thread ...

Most reactions

Back