Beginners help on wedding/portrait pics

I suppose the thought could be something like:

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach that man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime".

Someone needs to show others that there is more than one way to learn things other than posting a well repeated question and wait on their butts for an answer.

I'm not the only one doing it. Poor MAV has modified his sig and increased it to a gigantic font size to attract attention, but it is STILL getting little results.

Just feels like banging your head into a wall some days. :)

Don't worry about it too much :)
As this forum still accept new users (which is good). People will still asking for fish.:hail: By the way Jerry, thanks for all the wonderful post you had in the past (as well as others). oh .. I just thought of something. For me, I learn a lot since I join this forum in April (got my DSLR at that time). And at that time, I do not know what to ask as I was so new and of course it will be hard for me to search. It's because I just do not know where to start.

Thanks to other beginners asking questions and quality answers by person like you and others, I learned a lot. With that basic knowledge, I was able to search more in here as well as in Google. Now come and think about it, it is still good for people to ask the same questions again and again.:lol:

Please don`t mistake my original intention,It wasn`t to start a blue with jerryph or anyone for that matter, I just thought that a post was a little abrupt and said so,jerryph is right that newer members should do a search first,finding things for our selves is a good way to learn but newbies will jump right in and with great gusto imeadiately ask a million questions that have been anwsered ten million times,a kindly direction to go to search would save some dramas. jerryph I apolize unreseveredly if caused you problems or messed up your day it wasn`t my intention to do so,I will reserve the right to point out something I feel to be wrong:hail:.

Something in your Corn flakes today man? Cuz it seems your into shredding Noob's today.

Noobs come here to learn how to be a photographer and how to make photos. That's good.
But part of that is that wannabe photographers also need to learn when to take a back seat and to NOT make photos!

Sometimes you need to use your brains, not your emotions.

^^^ Hey, um, seriously... back off of Jerry.

1. He has to be the most conscientious responder on this entire forum, and takes a lot of time to try to really help people out in a constructive but unfiltered way.
  2. He happily shares his knowledge with everyone without gripe- beginners and pros alike.
  3. He really knows his stuff. I read this site every day and so many posts I'm like "Oh, I should see if I can help this out... oh wait, never mind, Jerry posted." :)
  4. [EDIT] I tend to think I know a lot about photography and I'm learning something new from Jerry every day. lol Clearly I know nada.
I also happen to very much agree with him on this.

I could go off on my take, but as he says, it's been covered. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, don't have the equipment, and don't have an assistant, then you should run run run away.

This is STUPID! I can not believe Jerry and everyone else who is even arguing about this. Who really cares why he posted about something someone asked 3 years ago?!?

You don't know his life or most of the people on this forum. If you feel so strongly about search engines then just post a link to GOOGLE instead of writing an essay on why people never use it.

What makes you think everyone likes GOOGLE? Age is also a factor. You don't know how old this person is. He could be young and just wants to have conversation. You on the other hand seem OLD from the picture in your avatar. So, maybe you have a different perspective about public forums. Let people be people instead of wishing everyone acted more like you. Why don't you stop singling someone out for asking a question.

And about the wedding... Of course they already know they need experience! What do you think they are trying to accomplish going to the wedding??? If the couple hires someone w/o any experience, feedback, or reviews then that's their OWN FAULT.

Leave the photographer alone. You're attitude is so negative and not motivational what so ever. How do you expect anyone to feel when you tell them that they aren't good enough.

blah blah blah about PRO's They all started somewhere.

This is STUPID! I can not believe Jerry and everyone else who is even arguing about this.... He could be young and just wants to have conversation. You on the other hand seem OLD from the picture in your avatar. So, maybe you have a different perspective about public forums. Let people be people instead of wishing everyone acted more like you. Why don't you stop singling someone out for asking a question.

That had better not have been targeted at me. Age has nothing to do with being lazy or NOT being lazy, nor the original intent and opinions of my post in this thread. You also don't start a thread asking for help just for conversational purposes, I don't care what the age is.

What is "stupid"... is adding comments to a thread that is basically hashed out, and everyone kissed and made up, and someone reopens it, then adds irrelevent comments like age or experience to a basically closed topic.

You may kindly think of me as "old", I am 48, but I tell you what, I still jog 10 kilometers a week, attend 3 BJJ classes a week, work an average of 60 hours a week, 43 weeks a year, and STILL find time (I'd conservatilvely place it at about 6-8 hours a week) to come here (and another photo forum site), and participate. I'm not including my other hobbies (modifying and racing my cars), which I also do at least once a month. I also have a wonderful lady that I am in a strong and healthy relationship with since 1999.

Not bad for an old fart... now, how about you? What contributuons have YOU made to this place? ;) :lol:

Here is the biggest joke... I started into dSLRs 11 months ago, and I have been graced with comments from professionals and other advanced members here that say they are learning from me... ME a bloody newb! (I appreciate it guys, but trust me, I learn more from you, than you from me... lol)

That has to say SOMETHING about my methodology... now imagine what this place would be like if a few more people folowed my example? We'd have some very experienced newbs here, and the level of the conversations would rise from "what camera or lens is the best" to some prettyt heavy and INTERESTING advanced photographic discussions.

My only "weak" spot here if you will, is that I am a reactive poster, not a proactive poster. I rarely start threads, but jump into existing ones. It comes from being an IT trainer, I suppose. I listen to questions and fix and teach, not create topics. I "create" elsewhere when the time permits (started a blog on photography, and two private sites for advanced PCM car tuning for the GM 3800 community, and advanced BJJ techniques for my class mates).

What I think pisses off a lot of people is that I am passionate about many aspects of photography. Likely one of the ones I feel strongst about is having a totally inexperienced photographer think that they can outshoot a professional in 20 with minutes or less preparation or experience in wedding scenarios, and did not even TRY to find out what is involved.. just "tell me what to do, and keep your other opinions to yourself".

Reality sucks, and life doesn't work that way, and if some people here do not appreaciate my brand of being up front and in your face sometimes with my opinions, they are more than welcome to place me on ignore.

Everyone will be happier. :)

What I thought was stupid is arguing about someone posting a question. He is simply stating he's going to a wedding and he wanted suggestions on what he may need.

You yourself stated that leave the weddings for the pros. It would be the couple's fault in the first place to hire such an inexperienced photographer.

I didn't directly call you old. (BTW not bad with the running) What I meant by OLD is maybe
you (or anyone older) may have a different opinion about what you use this forum for than what we (younger people) use this forum for.

maybe you (or anyone older) may have a different opinion about what you use this forum for than what we (younger people) use this forum for.

True. And if what you "(younger people) use this forum for" is basically to avoid having to do some basic searching and googling before you ask a question, then other people, older or not, may feel prostituted for their knowledge.
I'm told that is not a nice sensation.

^^^ Hey, um, seriously... back off of Jerry.
  1. He has to be the most conscientious responder on this entire forum, and takes a lot of time to try to really help people out in a constructive but unfiltered way.
  2. He happily shares his knowledge with everyone without gripe- beginners and pros alike.
  3. He really knows his stuff. I read this site every day and so many posts I'm like "Oh, I should see if I can help this out... oh wait, never mind, Jerry posted." :)
  4. [EDIT] I tend to think I know a lot about photography and I'm learning something new from Jerry every day. lol Clearly I know nada.
I also happen to very much agree with him on this.

I could go off on my take, but as he says, it's been covered. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, don't have the equipment, and don't have an assistant, then you should run run run away.

Relax..... this isn't an attack Jerry thread... this is a discussion about the direction of the beginners forum and Jerry happens to be leading up one side of the argument... I'm sure he's not going to bed weeping at night and nobody knowledgable is attacking his credibility..

True. And if what you "(younger people) use this forum for" is basically to avoid having to do some basic searching and googling before you ask a question, then other people, older or not, may feel prostituted for their knowledge.
I'm told that is not a nice sensation.

LMAO... Alfred D. you are one dry dude...

good read guys... lol... jerry, i'm am one of those newbs that have read many a post from you... would you kindly pm me or even post that blog of yours on here?

oh wait, i think there's a 'share photoblog' thread on here (hope it's not the other forum i lurk). time for the search button :lol:

I think it is better to lock this thread. :)

Most reactions

Back