beginning of the crisis

I read somewhere else about hubberts peak. ever since then I have been really worried. I never know what to think though. Everyone was freaking out for Y2K also. Seems like theres always something else to get everyones boxers in a bunch.

I have become more concensious lately though. Gas is up to $2.15 out here. And Its supposed to be to $3 by August. Im hoping that this is for the best though. It will push the government to fund better means of energy.

I just hope that somethign is done before it all goes dry and we are really screwed. I ride my bike everywhere I can. And Im looking to sell my jeep and get something that has better mpg :sad anim:

Ah I'm doing the same thing Graig. I've been trying to sell my truck for about two months now. I'm thinking about getting one of the more fuel efficient SUV's b/c I still need the space but I just don't want a gas guzzler!

Yea its gona be really rough when I go to a car. I will go nuts with out the space to haul my bike and stuff. Its almost worth the money because it fits my life style.

I dont think I would be able to sell it on my own. I would probably have to trade it in. at $1.95 it was $35 to fill up my tank.

I don't know much about cars but what about hybrids? like them fancy electric/gas guys? or whatever..?

i thought SUV were horrid for the enviroment. or is that just for certain ones?

hybrids, non-suv's, it doesn't matter. even electricity is dependant on oil, to a large degree. if we don't do something to convert to other sources of energy soon, as in NOW, it will be too late...

Just because its an SUV doesnt mean its bad. Its the size of the engine. There are cars that get worse mpg than a lot of trucks.

Hybrids 'n crap are just a way to stretch out the bit of gas that we have left. Water it down if you will.

Mitsubishi has this new electric car comin out. 350hp...crazy.

And here we have a president giving tax credits to rich business owners for the entire purchase price of gas guzzling H2's :roll:

graigdavis said:
Yea its gona be really rough when I go to a car. I will go nuts with out the space to haul my bike and stuff. Its almost worth the money because it fits my life style.
It depends on how much you haul because I know what you are going through but it wasn't too bad when I had a car. I do some mountain biking myself and when I used to have a Honda Accord I just used a trunk mounted bike rack. It worked really well but it did block easy access to the trunk. If that's a concern you can always get hitch mounted bike racks but you have to make sure the car you get has a hitch mount. A roof rack is another way to go but I didn't like them as much. Everything else I hauled could either fit in the back seat or in the trunk.

Here are some pictures I found on the internet to show you what I'm talking about if you didn't already know...
bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

I'm definitely trading in my truck when I can get enough money together. I never really liked it much in the first place.

As for the dependence on oil, I think we just need to get people into the habit of using and buying alternative energy equipment they can afford now. For example, you can buy solar powered battery rechargers and there are also solar powered watches available from Casio along with calculators. I know they aren't huge energy savers but it's more about changing people's habits and conscious choices which will give more money and technology improvements into alternative energy.

When using alternative energy products become more "trendy" or in demand then companies will invest more money into alterative energy in general. Although the longer we wait the more drastic the changes need to be made. Companies only produce what consumers want. If consumers only want gas guzzlers then companies will keep making them until all the oil has dried up.

I don't believe we are doomed but I think there is definitely going to be a lot of hardships and stress the longer we wait. Gas prices are around $2.30 for regular in my area and it just seems to go up every week.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Shark said:
voodoocat said:
And here we have a president giving tax credits to rich business owners for the entire purchase price of gas guzzling H2's :roll:

Yeah I think that was a business tax loophole that just got abused.

I have a guy that works for me that used the tax loophole to buy a new Suburban. With that and the mileage my company pays him, that Suburban cost him next to nothing.

On the flip side of that, being in the service business, that tax loophole has helped my business a lot with absorbing the cost of buying new service vans. As bad as it is to need a larger vehicle, it is a necessary evil of my business.

I ride my motorcycle whenever I can but the reality of it is, some days I just need my truck and it guzzles like no tomorrow. Gas prices are just getting out of control!

Still on topic, let's find out what people are paying.

Here the low grade runs about $2.15 -$ 2.24/gallon

Today it jumped to $0.92 per liter...I have no idea what that converts to per gallon but I think we Canadians pay a lot more for gas than our southern neighbors :cry:

Almost makes me glad my car is out of order. I have been riding the motorcycle lately but damn is it cold in the morning.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back