beginning on film...a little discouraged

columbus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad gave me his Ricoh kr-10 to try out, and I've been trying to get a feel for the settings. I've shot two rolls of film, and I can see maybe 5 or 6 keepers. Many of them are underexposed, which confuses me because I'm really trying to use the light meter to dertermine the exposure settings (I assumed that was a good idea, but maybe not) Is there some sort of trick I'm missing here as far as exposure settings?

Also- some of the pictures that I thought would come out nice didn't even get printed- what gives?

Excuse my ranting, I'm just a little discouraged- But I'll keep trying :wink:

Does that camera read the ISO automatically? If not, did you set the ISO correctly?

If you had it set according to the light meter, the images should have been close enough...maybe the light meter isn't working properly.

Does that camera read the ISO automatically? If not, did you set the ISO correctly?

If you had it set according to the light meter, the images should have been close enough...maybe the light meter isn't working properly.

I have to set the iso, but it was definitely set correctly. I guess the batteries could be dead, but if they were, wouldn't that make the needle go lower, thus telling me to set the exposure longer?

hmmm

Keep at it, IMO film is a steeper learning curve but the payoff is awesome. When taking a shot, do a few shots instead, with different settings, angle's, ect. - this will help you develop your own eye for what makes a good shot and what doesn't.

Sam

Do you have another camera (or light meter) that you could test this one against?

Do you have another camera (or light meter) that you could test this one against?

I have a Sony DSC W10 digital p&s- how would I test the Ricoh's meter with the Sony one?

If you're shooting under standard lighting conditions and your shots are all coming out underexposed then the camera's light meter may be off.

Yeah- I'm thinking of taking it to a camera shop for cleaning/fixing if it needs it. Does anyone know how much a basic cleaning would cost me?

Yeah- I'm thinking of taking it to a camera shop for cleaning/fixing if it needs it. Does anyone know how much a basic cleaning would cost me?

I think it is better of if your dad give you the digital. I am sorry to say that but it is a lot easier to learn with dslr. But if you succeed with this uphill climbing - who knows - you may know something with the minimal tools.

I think it is better of if your dad give you the digital. I am sorry to say that but it is a lot easier to learn with dslr. But if you succeed with this uphill climbing - who knows - you may know something with the minimal tools.

I don't understand- my dad doesn't have a dslr, the Ricoh is a 35mm slr. I have a Sony P&S, and I feel like I've exausted the creative possibilities, so I decided to take a stab at an slr type camera- I really don't have the money for a dslr right now.

Just try buying mew batteries for the camera, i have 2 Ricoh film SLRs and they both meter just fine. <KR-5 and KR-5 Super>

I was just curious why you think that it is easier to learn photography on a DSLR, instead of a SLR?

I was just curious why you think that it is easier to learn photography on a DSLR, instead of a SLR?

Instant result to view of course. Is it over exposed or under exposed?
My d40 setting now is not the setting I had when I took it out from the box. I click, I look, I adjust. Now it produces very natural colours indoors and outdoors as I want it to be. Or at least it produces colours that I think is the most acceptable.
Another thing, the dslr kept the record of each shot as to their shutter speed, the aperture, iso and also what camera.

Using film camera to learn takes time before seeing the result. It cost money to buy the films and it cost money to process them.

But Columbus the OP poster has stated that this camera is the one he is going to use so please support him as best as you can.

If I live near by his father I may have a word with him - or maybe few. With an axe in my hand I think the dslr would be there in an instant.:D

Instant result to view of course. Is it over exposed or under exposed?
My d40 setting now is not the setting I had when I took it out from the box. I click, I look, I adjust. Now it produces very natural colours indoors and outdoors as I want it to be. Or at least it produces colours that I think is the most acceptable.
Another thing, the dslr kept the record of each shot as to their shutter speed, the aperture, iso and also what camera.

Using film camera to learn takes time before seeing the result. It cost money to buy the films and it cost money to process them.

But Columbus the OP poster has stated that this camera is the one he is going to use so please support him as best as you can.

If I live near by his father I may have a word with him - or maybe few. With an axe in my hand I think the dslr would be there in an instant.:D

This is the problem with learning on a dslr. When you look at the image on the back of the screen and see that the colors/exposure is off you just keep photographing switching the setting until it is right. The advantage with that is you are getting a good exposure. The problem with that is that you are not learning why you got the bad exposure in the first place. By not learning how to make a good exposure right off the bat you can not shoot on the fly, and trust yourself. You will always be looking at the back of your screen to make sure and possibly missing the great shots. And yes the digital camera does store the meta data but do people really take the time to look at that, be honest, or do they go to the good exposure and just use that. Where if you take the time to write it down with film you are more likely to go bad and look at your notes when you get a bad shot.

Finally, the whole cost thing. You can get a old manual camera w/ lens, a bunch of film, the chemicals to develop your film, and a scanner to turn your negs into digital file for cheaper than alot of digital SLRS!!! After you include the memory cards, lens, and every other accessory you need for your digital camera you are spending alot more on that then you are on film.

I agree with AW45. In my mind, the best way to learn the settings of an slr is with a film slr. I'm actually writing down all the settings I use for my shots, and I think it will help me learn.

Most reactions

Back