Beginning Photographer - Picture of Baby

dostagamom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to this board. I am just getting into photography (trying to save my husband money by taking pictures of our children myself). I would love feedback on my pictures about how I can improve. Please feel free to tell me what you know. I took this picture of our 16 week old son. He was in a good mood so I just started taking pictures. This was the best one. Tell me what you think.
100_1889.jpg

Very cute!!!! I would maybe (now remember this is coming from a newbie) darken the background, and provide a softer background for the baby. Like maybe put a lot of sheets and fluffiness under the blue blanket. What I did was go to a fabric store and buy very soft, fluffy white fabric. It works great.

That sounds like a great idea. I had not thought of buying fabric. I will have to do that. Thank you for the advice.

You cut the bottom of the basket off and the background wrinkles are a bit distracting as well. Also, like already mentioned, prop the baby up some more, he looks uncomfortable. The satin edging around the blanket on the left side keeps grabbing my attention. Other than that, it looks good to me.

This is a great shot! I would have tried to keep the bottom of the basket in the shot, and like others have said, have the baby higher up in the basket. If you play around with photoshop, the wrinkles in the background should be easy to edit out, but if you wanted to keep the wrinkles, I'd just change the color, or maybe a 2 tone back drop?

Also, in Photoshop I might try to make the basket look a little duller (maybe blurred or something?) To keep your eyes on the babe, but I know This wouldn't be a popular opinion.

Very Cute Kid! Congrats!

Moving the basket away from the background will throw it more out of focus and also make it a bit darker if you move your light too.

Great start. I would move the baby away from your drop just a bit more :)

Hi there! First of all let me say - what a cutie!
I agree about propping him up some. But like they all said - excellent start! My first tries were AWFULLLLLL!!!! LOL
Anyhow - I saw it was okay to edit so I played some, hope you don't mind. I figured since you cut the bottom of the basket off I'd take some away. I don't even know if I like that frame there but I like to frame stuff so I put it there. I'm addicted to the frames at the moment. haha.
Anyhow like I said - great start! I love it :thumbup:

babybasket.jpg

Most reactions

Back